Back on a viffer....finally!

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by UJMan, Mar 7, 2015.

1. UJMan

UJMan New Member

I just picked up my new-to-me '03 VFR800. This is the 3rd VFR I have owned, and I hope to never go without a VFR again! 13k miles, helibars, sargent seat (guy told me Corbin; now I have to figure out a backrest or trunk for my son to lean against, double bubble windscreen, oem hard bags. It feels ooooohhh so good to be back on a VFR :) IMG_19928943876302.jpg

2. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Looks to be in great shape too. Nice find. Congratulations and welcome back.

3. UJMan

UJMan New Member

4. UJMan

UJMan New Member

Last ditch effort!

I got my new baby titled, registered, and plated today. But, mom won't let me take my son on it until I have a backrest or trunk (I am a teacher at his school, so we go together each morning). Is there ANYONE who would be interested in buying my Sargent seat, or trading a Corbin seat or trunk/top case for my Sargent? This VFR is our second vehicle, so i have to figure out a backrest ASAP. Even if you don't want to trade, but would entertain selling your Corbin or trunk, please let me know!

Thanks!!!

5. Dennis The Menace

Dennis The Menace New Member

Canada
    Map
    congrats on the bike. I did the same thing last year. Love my 03. I still keep watch for the 1996 I used to own. I think I would buy it if I ever see it again.

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
  7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
  8. UJMan

UJMan New Member

Let me introduce you to Big Red and Little Red Riding Good
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg

9. UJMan

UJMan New Member

My son, the future VFR rider ;)
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  10. 2wheelrush

2wheelrush New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice looking bike. Just saw a 2003 silver vfr with corbin, bags. 23,000 mi. For $4,200:courage:

11. UJMan

UJMan New Member

I hate to talk cost, but that's how much mine cost...with only 13k miles ;)

I posted one from local CL ad (no bags or seat, though), with only 6k miles, and they are asking $4500...Not a bad deal for somebody.

12. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice find with low mileage. Enjoy it.

13. UJMan

UJMan New Member

Damn, Raleigh is SLOWWWWWW...New plate finally arrived today :)
    plate.jpg

14. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Just wanted to chime in on your thread in case you did not know. If you want a topcase for your bike, it must be the OEM mounting kit and topcase OR OEM mounting kit and an adapter plate and then any topcase you want. The OEM panniers do not work with any other topcase mounting kit.

Me personally, I hated the Corbin on my 5th gen and loved the Sargent. Loved the Sargent on my 6th gen too. But I understand the need for the back rest for the moms comfort. Same issue with my wife. Another option would be to talk to a fabricator about making a backrest that mounts to the passenger grab handles bolt holes. It's probably not as expensive as buying a Corbin seat +backrest.

15. Veefer Madness

Veefer Madness New Member

I used to take my son on my Blackbird when he was about that age and it had a Corbin and backrest that was mandatory. Now the boy's all grown up and several bikes later I have an almost identical VFR to yours and my wife has gone for exactly one ride on it and is refusing to get on again without a backrest. I solved that problem by removing the passenger pegs. :triumphant:

I have a cafed Bonneville that's suitable for short and sedate 2-up trips whenever we have that inclination.

16. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Hahahaha! It's times like these I really miss that "Like" button!

17. UJMan

UJMan New Member

Unfortunately, I just missed out on an OEM top case that sold with a bike locally. Mine came with the OEM saddle and Sargent. I ended up selling the Sargent (though it was comfortable) to help pay for the Corbin I ordered. It should be shipping this week, along with the backrest. This is the first time I have tried Corbin or Sargent. I've always been fine with the stock saddles. I hated to drop so much $ on the Corbin, but I am still keeping my eyes out for an OEM top case for the extra storage. It has been challenging to go from a Gold Wing back to a VFR, but I definitely don't regret it :)

18. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    If you are getting a Corbin new from the factory, a small word of warning. It's gonna be hard. Very stiff and unforgiving. It will require time and heat to break it in. The more miles you put on it the better it will take to your shape. I loved the Corbin on my old Nighthawk 750 because it was never used or broken in until I bought it. The Corbin on my 5th gen was already molded to the previous owner and I hated it. The Sargent was awesome right from the get-go. But it never ended up taking my shape.

If you give it enough time, I think the Corbin will be OK eventually. It's just the break in period that is so difficult.

19. Veefer Madness

Veefer Madness New Member

Is it the Corbin or one's ass that breaks in? Things we'll never know.

I've ridden enough bicycles that I think stock motorcycle saddles are typically pretty comfortable. The VFR saddle is a surprising exception and I start to squirm after a few hours on it. I had Spencer at greatdaytoride rework mine and it is all day comfortable now, and with Genmar risers it is MORE comfortable than my Blackbird was with Helibars and a Corbin...I think...that was 10 years ago.

20. UJMan

UJMan New Member

I was supposed to receive my Corbin and backrest this week. BUT, when I called today to check on the status, I was told that the carbon fiber leather is now on back-order for a couple weeks; this would turn a 3-4 week turnaround into 4-6 weeks. So, I decided to change my order from the carbon fiber leather to the plain black leather in an attempt to get my seat on time. Sergio, the guy I was working with, was very polite, and tried to reassure me that he would push hard to get it completed for me this week. We shall see...