ATTN: All Single-side VFR's

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Scott_Lilliott, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Scott_Lilliott

Scott_Lilliott New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello all. It's been a long time since I contributed anything to the VFR list - like before there was a webpage, I thought I put this out for everyone's information, tho' it may have been covered at one/some point along the way:

Check your rear axle nut!

That big-ass nut on the left side is supposed to be torqued to
    141 ft-lbs on the '90-'97's and 154 ft-lbs on the '98-01's.
    That's a 46 mm flange nut - yes it should be dimpled into the slot of the axle shaft.
    What I discovered over years and miles is the rear hub rubber cushions wear down from forward-back motion from throttle application, and from cornering sideloads - all normal stuff. Eventually, the rubbers pack down so there's no longer the same force being applied to hold them and the hub in place. Mine were shot well before I replace them at 80K, my friend's were worn and with a loose nut at 60K. I had another friend lose the whole rear hub assembly because the nut spun off!
    With a 2-sided swingarm, you loosen and tighten the rear axle to torque everytime you change a tire or adjust the chain - not so on the VFR, so it doesn't get done, and I've found no reference for maintenance in the shop manual. Just guessing, but checking the torque on that nut every 20K miles would not be a bad habit. You have to bend up the dimple to turn the nut, then dimple it down again as a lock.
    The 1/2" dr S-K socket can be obtained from toolwarehouse.com.
    Best Riding!

2. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Thanks, Scott. Advice well appreciated! Welcome back to a "VFR List" :)