Article: VFRworld Shoei RF-1100 Review

Discussion in 'vBCms Comments' started by reg71, Feb 3, 2010.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
  2. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the review. I just tried one on recently and was impressed witth the fit and how it appeared to seal around the cheek/neck, which I assume would make it much quieter. This will definitely be the next helmet I get.

3. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    Perfect timing thanks for well done review. been helmet shopping latley had it narrowed down to rf1100
    and corsairV i just not sure if can justify or afford paying almost double for Arai. looks like its another shoie
    any recommendations for online purchase?

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    haven't seen any great deals lately but I got mine from cyclegear and they were having an in-store sale. I have maybe 500 or so miles with the helmet now, and I really like it. Hopefully it wears as well as the last shoei I had. I am happy that the liner is now fully removable, though and the ears have cutouts making room for speakers or whatever...

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I too tried one one, not to bad, but it sure feels large as in the whole shell, it's like they've added more foam to the liner in turn making the whole helmet bigger. To Add to my perplex thinking I usually wear a large in the Shoie line up, but this time I needed a medium, go figure. After reading that it's also gained a few ounces has me looking into it further, but yea I like em, even the X12 is pretty nice, but they look so huge. just wonder if this new build will be the trend all helmets? If Only I could find what i had new again. Nice read, thanks for the link

6. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the review. Good timing. I have been reading helmet review for about four days. Goes with what I've read. I just bought, and hoping it arrives today, a Shoei RF1000 on sale for only $270. My old helmet is a Shoei also. Quiet helmets. Seeing I'm not working I think I got deal when I needed it. Big sale on all Shoei helmets from Competition Accessories in S.C. if ones looking to buy.

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Definitely can't go wrong there, GreyVF750F. In fact, here's my review I did for the RF1000 that I replaced:http://vfrworld.com/forums/gear-accessories/7854-shoei-rf1000-review.html

On the size thing, I think the new helmet might be bigger also, RVFR. The sales clerk said I was borderline med or large so I opted for large. But, I have noticed my reflection looks like the helmet is huge even though supposedly now they have more shell sizes. Maybe I'll do some side by side comparisons to my other helmets to see if there is a noticeable difference.

8. RedLightRunna

RedLightRunna New Member

I'm new to riding and I picked up a RF-1100. This is my first helmet so I'm using it as a baseline. For what it's worht it is very comfortable. It does fog up a little in the cold but once you start going it disappears. Low wind noise if any. Great ventilation.

9. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Reg your right about the size. My old Shoei was a Medium which is sized 7 1/8 - 7 1/4 and the new one is a large sized 7 1/4- 7 3/8. They both fit the same. The new helmet is typical Shoei. Great fit and finish. It does pinch my cheeks more but think it will break in after use. I use an amber shield which you can't get for the new one. Only Gold mirror or amber pin fit. I tried to fit my old CX1 shield on the new helmet. It fit in the mounting mechanism but would only close half way. It hit the top vents and stopped. I compared the two shields and the new one (CX1-V1) is about 3/16" bigger around. Which tells me the helmet shell is a tad larger. Drat. I'll have to wait til spring to actually try it in action. I have no doubt it is quite like my last one.

10. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the review, I too am looking for a new Helmet. Time to replace the old HJC CL-15. I was looking at a closeout RF1000 but I am now leaning towards RF1100. I like the removeable center pad but the part about fogging scares me. I also use the helmet for snowmobiling and frozen fog is hard to clear. It has taught me to raise the shield just before stopping and lower the shield just after starting up again. Would this be a problem with the new RF 1100?

11. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    All helmets will fog, some more than others. Most have removable nose guards and such to keep fogging to a minimum. Shoei also has a "pin fit" inner shield (xtra)that's not supposed to fog up. Never used one so I can't say how they work. From what I've read they work good. IMO you can't go wrong with any Shoei full face helmet.

12. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I read a review of the pinlock shield system which basically is for any helmet. The conclusion was that they work really well. They held the shield above a boiling pot while steaming and it didn't fog up. I'd say that's a pretty decent test.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  13. Triplepac

Triplepac New Member

Thanks for the review. My present Shoei is getting a few years behind it and I came across this review. It has a tendancy to fog up at stoplights, especially here in soggy Seattle, but the plusses far outweigh that (just one notch from closed works fine). Looks like the replacement here. Again, thanks.

14. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks again Reg. This review has helped me narrow down the choices for a new helmet. As I said earlier it is time to replace my old HJC CL-15. Trying on the new RF-1100 I find the eyeglass channels tend to lift my glasses off my ears. The top of the cheek pads catch just under my glasses and lift them up. This could just be my odd noggin but I don't like the feeling of my glasses not being firmly hooked around my ears, especially with the face shield open. I was this close to buying one because everything else seemed perfect.

The good news is I also tried on a closeout X-11 and it fit perfectly. Just ordered my new X-11 online today for $349.

After trying on many Arai, Shoei RF-1000, RF-1100 and the X-11 I think I came out with a good choice for me. If I didn't have the eyeglass issue I probably would have gone with the RF-1100.

15. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I have noticed the same thing when wearing my sunglasses. I noticed one other slight nit with the helmet after having it a few weeks now, at the base of the neck towards the back the helmet kind of pokes me until I get it situated. It feels almost like something is out of place, but then once the helmet is on, I can't feel it anymore, it's just in the initial putting on.

After having this helmet for a couple months, I still really like it. The new has worn off and I will be happy with it for as long as my last shoei I hope. I still can't say that I can absolutely recommend this helmet over saving $100-$200 on another helmet and using the money for other gear. The helmet still seems very quiet and I like the extra room that I seem to have around my ears with this helmet. I also remain impressed with the fit of the helmet and ease of use of the vent system. I don't like how much the replacement shields cost, but I think they are pretty comparable to others.

16. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    What do the replacement shields run. I am replacing my iridium every year and the clear every two now. The iridium wears off easily with constant use in the weather i ride in...so it seems anyways.

17. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    They were above 40 and less than 50 last I checked...

18. pgcorky

pgcorky New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm still disappointed that Shoei and others are still stuck on Snell certification. The evidence is that we need something better to protect our heads in the real world than what Snell tests. So who cares if it's quiet, fog free, comfortable and all that - if it doesn't do what it's designed for. True of nearly all helmets we can buy today regardless of manufacturer. Great article still on-line at: Motorcycle Helmet Design, Helmet Standards and Head Protection - Gear Box - Motorcyclist Online

19. Carnage

Carnage New Member

I just ordered one of these from a friend the owns High Five Cycles in Dallas. I haven't gotten around to picking it up yet but ordered a dark smoke visor to go with it. I like my RF1000 but it has had a few close encounters with the ground from being dropped so I don't trust it anymore.

20. Michael D

Michael D New Member

Bought one a couple of weeks ago. I'm embarrassed to admit how old my previous one was. Hugely more quiet and comfortable, and significant amount of airflow is going to help as summer approaches here in Phoenix. Slight downside is that it is too big for my bags.