Appearance Mods?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by 99VFR800, Jun 11, 2009.

1. 99VFR800

99VFR800 New Member

First, thanks for all your help on the R/R problem

Second, what can I do to make her look pretty?

Right now I have what is supposed to be a aftermarket pipe to move the exhaust can (two bros) up and out of the way exposing more of the tire...pretty sure I got screwed. The pipe moved maybe 1in if that. Would I be better off buying a new one to try it?

Or... would I get enough back pressure from the Yamaha race exhaust? (The short stub) I just think they look good, not sure if functional though.

Is there anyway to swap my mirrors for something a little thinner? I would be more than happy with a set of CBR or R6 mirrors for their low profile. Will the mounting brackets match up?

Also, does anyone have a tinted windshield I could buy, or know where to get one?

Finally, anyone have some unique ideas that look good? Had lights inside at one point but they almost burned the bike down (learned to always use a fuse)

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Dude - you propably have the "condom" mirrors - yeah their ugly. --- check out my '98 in my gallery - see if theres anything that you like. I have '01 mirrors and a Zero Gravity windshield. I think that makes the bike look much better.

MD

3. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    try the gp r6 exhuast/////////\

4. okiengr

okiengr New Member

I agree, you can get some newer mirrors and windscreen that would help out with the looks in the front quite a bit. The exhaust: you could do a shorty GP or an undertail. The shorty would definitely be less mod work though! Sargent seat would be another thing to add for looks while also adding lots of comfort. Solo seat cowl. Removing the passenger pegs also cleans up around the rear tire but you'll lose an exhaust mounting point. But that won't matter if you run a GP shorty or undertail. Um, what else.... oh, a clear tail light lens and front blinker lenses could look pretty good, depending on if you like the clear lens look. There are lots of things that you can do. Like mello dude said, I would look at other people's bikes and just pick out what you like about them and apply it to yours. The possibilities are endless!

Here's a picture of mine to see how moving the exhaust and removing the passenger pegs changes the looks. Notice how it really cleans up and exposes the rear wheel.

[​IMG]

5. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

I mounted the mirrors from my 04 FZ1 on Kristin's gen 3. Allmost exactly like modern R6 mirrors. They did require mods. I can load up pics of the build when i get home tonite. the 2000 R6 tail, high mount & CBR900 front wheel all made the bike look quite differnt from a stock 92.

6. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

Yamaha mirrors

here are the FZ1 mirrors I modded to fit the Gen 3. I used the stock spacer at the base of the mirror. Drilled and tapped into the yam mirror then ground off the screws and welded them to the stock base.

Attached Files:

7. jay956

jay956 New Member

i guess im just weird. i dont mind the "condom mirrors"

8. Cundalini

Cundalini New Member

Map
    I dont mind the condom mirrors except for you can hardly feel anything with them on.

9. jay956

jay956 New Member

yea but you can longer longer with them then

10. Heretic

Heretic New Member