Anyone Students need to move from Detroit to College in NY not NYC

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by StealthBoss, Feb 12, 2021.

1. StealthBoss

StealthBoss New Member

United States
    On another thread, a forum member made a suggestion to Rent a U-haul bike trailer to get my bike from Detroit, MI back to Northern New York near Syracuse and Watertown. The cost of a bike trailer and 10' truck is $658 plus gas and probably some insurance and tax. I am estimating the total cost at like $1500. I haven't figured in flying into Detroit yet. I don't have an exact date on when I need to pick up the bike. I am hoping to get it in the first week of March.

I will be going through Buffalo, and Rochester, NY too. I was thinking we could split the cost. I will fly into Detroit and then I will pay for the trailer and truck and then get my bike then come help you move your stuff with the box truck. I wouldn't ask for your half until the truck is loaded.

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Here is another idea.

install a tow hitch on your vehicle, buy a used 4X8 or 6X10 trailer, get the bike home, sell the trailer. If it were me I'd keep the trailer. If you keep the trailer it will cost about the same as you have calculated above. If you sell the trailer it will be the cost of gas, and an overnight if you don't want to drive that much in one day.

Keep the trailer and use it to take your "new-to-you" VFR to a track day event a couple times a year.

Bike and trailer weight will be less than 1000 lbs, and can be towed very easly by a mid-sized car.

Just a thought.

34468 Randy and StealthBoss like this.
  3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    So for a trip of around 400miles where you have to move your bike - I'd look at possibly a bike moving company. Shops use them all the time & they hate transporting empty. Not a chance is it going to cost 1500...

4. StealthBoss

StealthBoss New Member

United States
    Thank you for that suggestion and for track days that would be awesome. I really don't know how I will end doing this. I trying to be prepared for the possibility that even though I put down a big deposit, this all could be a "jokes on you, you are not getting that bike."

5. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Get there and rent a van, put the bike in and drive it home. Drop it off locally.