Anyone go for a ride today?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Laker, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    IMG_20140802_121535.jpg
    I rode by Campbellville today. This bike is ridiculously fun. Please note. New Helibars to be installed. I need to book 8 hours of cursing time to get it done

2. nookiaz

nookiaz New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Laker, I don't feel so much alone in this forum anymore :D

IMG_0198.jpg

3. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Recommend following cursing time with a little liquid relaxation. ;)

4. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Laker

i just recently purchased a set of Helibars for my 2000 VFR and look forward to installing them. Today I went for a ride south of where I live in Kelowna, BC to a small town near the US border called Osoyoos and back. Lots of nice twisty back roads, a little bit of highway and some great scenic roads through some of BC's fantastic wine country. Grand total for today was about 450 km's. The Sargent seat I installed this winter makes the ride soooo much more comfortable.

As for installing the Helibars, I remember doing the install on my 97 VFR a number of years back and as I recall it took little more than a couple hours. The longest part of the whole process was was allowing the throttle grip glue a chance to cure before being able to ride. If you have access to an air compressor, getting the grips off is as easy as getting the nozzle as close to the end of the grip near the handlebar controls and WHOOSH, the grips come off in seconds flat. An air nozzle with a smaller tube end works great for getting the grips off.

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Laker

I hope you managed to get out on the VFR for that ride.

If you're like me, then you'll keep put off tackling the Helibar install until the weather turns bad. At which point it may be worth spending time to read through this thread as it flags up most of the problems encountered and better still offers a good few solutions.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthre...t-Before-You-Try-It!/page2?highlight=helibars

For me the worse bit was getting the dampers out of the old bars. :frusty: I tried to remove the dampers from the bars following the instructions and after getting nowhere fast, I gave up and used plan B (which always involves a hammer). I first sprayed WD40 (releasing oil) into the damper, down the various holes drilled into the old bars, and then I clamped the old bars horizontally in a vice wrapped in an old sock (as I didn't want to damage the vice). I refitted the bar end weight and placed an adjustable spanner up against the end weight. Then whilst a friend used a screwdriver to press in the two retaining tabs I gently tapped on the side of the adjustable spanner and in seconds the damper unit slid out. Easy.

Getting the switchgear to sit right was also an issue until I realised they had small locating pins underneath which need to locate into a hole in the helibars. :doh:

Overall I think the hardware is really great quality which is let down by the manufacturers instructions which personally only rate a 2 out of 10! Getting in a 6 pack should be the first item on those instructions! Chances are there will come a point when you definitely need a cool one :drink:

Have fun.

SkiMad

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Maybe it's RTFM in American English that is the problemo.

SOW to the rescue? LOL

7. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    IMG_20140802_121502.jpg
    Ok, there she is. Thanks for the info. So I need beer, hammer, a sock, several hours and 10W50 mixed with 10W40? Oh wait, was that a different thread? Billy?

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I finally put my helirisers on my ride a few weeks ago. Have had them a couple years. I did not have much trouble at all. OMG. I've done something terribly wrong! Couldn't be that I really fluked my way through this. Did have a bit of trouble really though with the dampers though. But after much persuasion and swearing it did get them out. Fortunately a friend had a spare damper for me to replace one that looked more like shredded wheat than a damper by time I got it out. I really didn't think I needed them, and maybe I don't "need" them, but it sure is nicer to ride now. Who wudda thought. It only took me 180,000 km to figure that one out. I was a shining star in grade one too.

9. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I didn't manage to get out today but plan on heading out tomorrow for a bit. Maybe head over to Port Dover and get some fish and chips. Leaving from the Guelph area if anyone wants to come along. As far as bar risers go, when I got my bike and it was in my garage all winter waiting for my first ride on it all the reading I was doing convinced me that I was going to want risers. I have found now that I'm in my second season riding the VFR that I think I would actually prefer the bars lower. I don't think that would be so easy though.

10. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I got 40+ miles in on two wheels today

[​IMG]

11. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    I had a good ride today Charlotte,NC to blowing rock hopped on the blue ridge parkway and went to Roanoke,VA and back.

12. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I had a partially rainy ride up the Malibu mountains. Fun times fun times! Then went to see a private collection of about 100+ motorcycles. Old to new, including a Ducati MotoGP bike.

13. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    IMG_20140803_125915.jpg
    We managed to get out for a different kind of thrash. My 18 year old is getting scary fast on that CRF230. Oh to be 18 and stuff the old man into a corner. I can still beat Syd though, maybe 2 more years and then she'll roost me too.

14. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

Had a nice little ride on Saturday as well. Rode the '86 from OKC, OK to Tulsa, OK to spend a little time with my pops. Took the long way, went up I-35 to Guthrie and rode state Hwy 33 to T town by way of Sapulpa. All in all about 250 miles.

15. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    VERY NICE! kinda reminds me I gotta slow down on my working and get back in the saddle!

16. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Thanks Tink for reminding me now lazy I have been when it comes to cycling.
    Regarding motorcycles, my old man asked me to look after is KTM640 Duke while he's away on holiday so I'll take it out for a spin today. That thing is always a blast to ride!

17. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm thinking the cycling is making my motorcycling better. The weight loss has been the best thing for the Honda's performance.

18. hallford

hallford New Member

Map
    It doesn't count for much but I commuted to work yesterday (11 miles round trip) and today (25 miles round trip).

Attached Files:

19. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I did manage to get out for a ride on Monday. I also passed through Campbellville then made almost to Rockwood before the skies opened on us and we were in the torrential rainfall of the year. Managed to find a spot in Rockwood to wait out the storm. Turns out that my pants and jacket aren't as waterproof as they claim to be but in all fairness it wasn't a regular rainfall.
    2014-08-04 14.56.10.jpg
    Here is a pic of the VFR and friends CBR600 getting wet.