Another VFR, same stupid instrument cluster connector.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by vfrgiving, Oct 30, 2022.

1. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

So not a random clock reset this time, and a different VFR...

Two weeks ago I noticed the left turn signal idiot light wasn't on when I pressed the switch left. Not a big deal, this usually means a switch needs cleaning. I tried the switch again and the idiot light started flashing, this reinforced a needed switch cleaning. Later that day getting dark, hit the turn signal left again. Idiot light stayed dark, however I noticed the actual turn signal flashing in the VFR's reflection off the car in front of me.

My next line of thinking was the bulb. I've seen standard incandescent bulbs break their filament from time to time, but can then have the floppy filament make contact again during vibration and work for a bit. I gave the dash a few finger taps and the idiot light came on. For sure, floppy filament and the bulb needs changing. I've never had a flasher indicator burn out, but stranger things have happened. The last week or so the indicator light has been more dark than working.

Yesterday I decided to tear the front of the bike down and get at the bulb. I got the bulb out and it looked fine. No carbon marks on the glass inside, and I flicked it a few times didn't see any movement of the filament. I tweaked the metal prongs in the bulb holder a bit and put a new bulb in anyway. Sprayed some contact cleaner on the traces where the holder twists and put it back. I keyed on the ignition and tried the left turn signal. The bulb worked, great, I'll button everything up. I just barely pushed the front fairing back into place and decided to try the new bulb again. It didn't work, great...

I slowly pulled the front fairing back away and noticed it was just lightly applying pressure to the wiring going to the blue dash connector. The bulb was now working again with the front fairing pulled away. I pulled up the wiring schematic real quick and verified that the left indicator light did go through that stupid connector. I unclipped the plug and gave it the same treatment I did to the other VFR, hosed everything down with De-Oxit and put it back together.

I tried the turn signal and wiggled the connector a bunch. The indicator stayed going, so I made the call to bolt everything up. I rode the bike all morning today and it's been fine.

So there you go. If your dash is behaving weirdly.. flickering lights, gauges, random clock resets it's a very good chance it's that flex membrane plug combo Honda thought was a good idea for a brief time in the 1990's.

conn.jpg
    dash.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    ProtechRacing, Thumbs and Grum like this.