Another new 5th gen owner.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MCDig, Jun 15, 2020.

1. MCDig

MCDig New Member

United States
    Hello all.

I inherited a 1998 with 18k miles from my good friend who passed away a few months ago. We shared a passion for motorcycles and it feels good to be getting the bike back on the road. It had been sort of neglected. I live in the DC area and am looking forward to taking some road trips to the Shenandoah.

96_Sokudo likes this.
  2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome MCDig. Sorry to hear that you lost your good friend. What a great way to stay connected to his memory, to give you his VFR! He must have thought that you would have taken good care of his prized ride.

When you get a chance, upload a photo so that we can share in your excitment.

3. Aussie-Hornet

Aussie-Hornet New Member

Australia
    Welcome mate! You don't have any other friends with bikes they no longer need, perchance??
    So, do you have any VFR background, or is this whole V4 mystique new to you?

4. MCDig

MCDig New Member

United States
    Thanks, I'm definitely taking better care of it than he did. To put it kindly he was less than exacting with his maintenance. I am sure he is happy that I have it though. I will put a picture up when I put it back together. I need to repair the circuit boards on both the tach and speedo.

5. MCDig

MCDig New Member

United States
    I have a couple of friends in Greece that have motorcycles. Here in the US where I spend most of my time, none of my friends have motorcycles. My background with var's actually goes back to 1997. I had just moved to Los Angeles and what I remember was a vf750 - it could have been a 700, I don't recall. I was taking up motorcycle messengering again - I had done that for a year or so back where I grew up in Northern Virginia. I bought it for I think $500, it didn't run well. I paid a mechanic $250 to clean the carbs out and everything was fine for a couple weeks before it shat itself on the 405 near long beach somewhere. I made it into a Sears parking lot, took it apart and tried to replace what I thought had broken - cam chain maybe? Anyway I got it back together then it wouldn't start. I towed it to a motorcycle shop and traded it plus $500 for a Silver wing. I slapped some flat handlebars on it and it was a wonderful messenger bike. My other experience on a vfr was a 6th gen. The same friend who passed away had a buddy in San Fran who was looked for a 6th gen vfr and found one in LA, and he asked me to check it out. I had a look and told him it seemed really clean, and if he bought it I could pick him up from the airport and take him to the bike so he could drive it back. The guys wife didn't like that idea so they paid me to drive it up. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take a relaxed trip up and just got there as fast as I could. Figuring that would be my only opportunity to ride it, I ought to make the most of it. On a nice open, straight stretch of the 5 freeway I hit 152 mph! Thats my personal land speed record.

6. MCDig

MCDig New Member

United States
    So I made another post about my tach and speedo, I'm wondering if anyone has a picture of the circuit boards for the tach and speedo. One of the resistors is burnt beyond recognition and I'm hoping that if I can just identify it and replace it, the thing will work again.

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You should be able to find a schematic for the wiring in the service manual and that should have the value of the resistor listed. Try downloading the manual from here: https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/file/246-98-01-vfr-service-manual/

8. MCDig

MCDig New Member

United States
    Thanks, I went through the service manual and they don't have a schematic for those circuit boards. They just say if it isn't working to replace it. That's what I ended up doing, I found one on eBay, set me back $165!!