An unusual 5th gen build.. (need PC choice insight/experiences)

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by ccrunner, Sep 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    Hello again guys..

It's been awhile since I've been on here.. I'm the guy that took a 5th gen motor and put in in a Honda N600 car several years ago..

Now I'm putting a 5th gen lump into a tiny British car, and I need your insight on which Dynojet PC to seek out.. for my last build I used a PCIII with no trouble (actually loved what it did for the engine), but now I'm seeing that the PCV replaces the PCIII for the 5th gens(?)

I'm fine with either.. my build has sourced a 2000 VFR800 engine (it has an O2 sensor).. The trouble I'm running into with my future PC choice is potential expandability... I'm thinking I may end up modding this project once it's on its feet and adding a turbo/supercharger (because it will be in a car I have a lot more room/options to plumb needed bits to make them work).. this would stretch my abilities, but I'd like to have it as an option later..

So I'm on the Dynojet website and see that my engine now defaults to a PCV, but I'm also seeing new PC goodies I hadn't noticed before, like a plug in "Auto Tune" module (part #AT-200).. also noticed the POD-300 monitor.. maybe they've always been offered, but I didn't notice (or were unsupported with my old PCIII(?) Then I noticed the PCV-PTI, which seems to be right up my boosted alley, but it doesn't link as available for a 5th gen..

I will call Dynojet and ask them directly, but I also wanted to ask you 5th Gen owners here- any experience with these choices first hand? Are you running a PCV on a 5th gen? Anyone boosted? (I know about the old A&A supercharged kit-- too $$$ for me, and of course unavailable now).. Anyone using a "POD" on your bike? worth it? Anyone using the "Auto Tune" module? Is it effective (meaning I could use that and not have to pay for a custom tune)..

I know I'm coming across as newbie guy who doesn't know what the search function does, but I didn't find much on a PCV and 5th gen (mostly found PCIII for 5th gen).. Anyway, I appreciate your feedback-- I have a while to go before my little car is running, but I'm gathering parts and fabbing right now..

Thanks guys- much appreciated ;-)

ccrunner

2. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I don't think anyone has installed a PCV on a 00/01 successfully .
    Dynojet lists them as the only alternative now, but everyone I know has tried has also failed to make it work.

3. cbviffer

cbviffer New Member

Canada
    Hey,
    I just saw your old car on the smoking tire, I bought a red fairing from you back when you were parting out parts (guy from Nova Scotia).
    The car turned out pretty sweet BTW!

I just purchased another VFR (it's a 1998) and was wondering the same thing about the power vision. I have one already for my electra glide, I know that you get get a licence to tune multiple bikes using the same tuner.
    From people I've talked to (mostly Harley guys that have used it) the auto tune works pretty well to get close enough for most people, but if you want "the best" numbers, a dyno and a good tech still are the way to go. I'm in the most people side of it, where if it make my engine run better and has noticeable improvement in performance I'm pretty happy.
    But I'm like you, when I get enough miles that my Harley is ready for a rebuild, I'm adding a procharger!
    Good luck with your build (do you have a link yet?)

4. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    Hey guys- I reached out to Dynojet and got in touch with Chris Kelly there, and he explained that the PCIII has in fact been discontinued (of course we knew that), and that the PCV (PC-5) is now its replacement for the 5th Gen.. In short, directly from Dynojet, your 1998-2001 VFR800 WILL run on the PCV (Dynojet PN: 16-005)... I haven't done this yet, but when the time comes, I'll get a PCV for my 5th-gen based project..

------------------------

Thanks for reaching out cbviffer.. I'm going to be in your camp with thinking that the autotune module will get me 'close enough' ...I'm not the type to obsess over 'perfection' in a tune, which is a pretty elusive thing: I've been reading the online reviews of Autotune, and it seems after 2/3/4 datalogging sessions, most owners are super happy with the results-- good enough for me! (Procharged Harley= weeeeee!!!)

I love the way the little N600 turned out with the VFR under the hood.. big fun, little car :) My next project is sort of more of the same with an oddball British car, a 1959 "Berkeley" 492 -it's a cute, fairly rare little fiberglass car ...link:

https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

Street legal, and should be about 900# wet when I'm done (yes, deathtrap territory..), and of course what it will need is more power ;-) ...not sure if I'll pursue it, but I'm thinking a boosted 5th gen lump under the tiny hood would be a riot.. It is my hope to have it under power and on it's wheels by spring of 2020..

--ccrunner

5. cbviffer

cbviffer New Member

Canada
    Well, from seeing your other build, I'm sure it will be top notch!
    wow, that kinda looks like a small bmw Z8

6. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    Yeah, I too see a little Z8 in there.. I think if you squint really hard (maybe through some beer goggles), there's a bit on AC Cobra there too (particularly a rear 3/4 shot).. At any rate, it's impossibly small, virtually unknown, and very, very light (as cars go)..

A metric ton of work, but should be laugh-out-loud fun when it's done..

--ccrunner

7. cbviffer

cbviffer New Member

Canada
    Yeah, I really couldn't believe how small it was vs the beetle you were next to.
    How in the world did you ever find one?
    It'll be a street legal super go kart!