Amish Surprise

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Maggot, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    My wife is very generous and every year she turns me loose to get lost on the VFR for a week. The only rule is I have to call her every night to let her know I'm OK! I generally start out heading from Chicago NW to the Prairie Du Chien / La Crosse area in Wisconsin. I do this the last week in August so I can travel without reservations and still have great luck finding hotels with vacancies. My favorite type of riding is county roads. In Wisconsin this means any road with a letter for a name. My friend calls these mix of roads "alphabet soup!" My plan on this trip is to just ride. If I see something I like I stop, if not I keep going! I use the GPS later in the day to find hotels so I never know where I will be in advance. The ultimate plan is to follow the Mississippi River / Great River Road to the Headwaters in Itasca State Park in Minnesota.

I left home early Sunday morning August 25th. By early afternoon I am in "Coulee Country" (Coulees are the term for river valleys and hills leading towards the Mississippi River. Very twisty and scenic). somewhere southeast of La Crosse. I am on a county road making a sweeping left hand turn in a blind corner. I am slowing to about 40 mph from about 55. Then what appears in front of me but an Amish Horse and Buggy ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!! My first thought was to pass on the left but this is NEVER a good Idea especially on a curve so I hit the wonderful VFR hooks and slowed almost to a stop with my tires about 6 inches from the right side of the road. Assuming the horse will not run into me and pass to my left. This was the right choice. We passed each other without incident.

Now here is the fun part! There's more to this story! All I could see in the buggy was a young Amish girl with her eyes so big and her mouth so wide open it made me laugh. She was pulling so hard on the reins it looked like a death grip. But there is more! Behind the buggy is an Amish guy running as fast as he can trying to catch up. Behind the runner is a young kid driving a car with the passenger door hanging wide open!

I passed and continued on my way wondering what the circumstances were? I guess I will never know!

I thought it would be a nice strange story for this forum and also be fun to give some ideas of what we might think the circumstances were!

My Thoughts. Young Amish driver education gone wrong! Girl out for her first solo with dad and brother following in a car. Ever try to catch a horse on foot?

Lets have some fun here. What are your thoughts that led to this incident knowing we will never know the truth?

2. nookiaz

nookiaz New Member

United States
    Map
    Amish don't drive cars I don't think. But glad no accident happened. Don't know what to make but it's a great story.

3. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm pretty sure most don't drive either but thats part of the mystery! Yes that is one of the weirdest things to ever happen to me in over 45 years of riding!

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Normally the Amish do not drive cars or use modern day appliances or niceties, but there is a time that this is allowed and they can do things like drink alcohol and experience what most adolescent kids live through. It's called 'Rumspringa' and it is kind of like a get out of jail free time and also a right of passage.

Very curious situation indeed and one that will have you wondering for a long time!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumspringa

5. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Shhhhh...... :tape:

Geez Maggot fer da cripes sakes keep your voice down willya we don't wanna let everyone in on the secret. :lol:

6. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry Stosh........I knew you might have been on one or two of those roads. I'm just jealous I don't live as close as you do!

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Is that anything like Jack Mormons....ya, passing a freekin horse drawn buggy and a young girl at the controls ...good lord...whats this world coming to?
    Just wondering. .

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I think Stosh is an escaped Amish buggy painter. Amusing story. I just don't know what to think. Maybe she was a delinquent little girl and that was a bait buggy with the Amish Cops in pursuit.

9. nookiaz

nookiaz New Member

United States
    Map
    Now that makes sense :D

10. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Correct Amish do not drive or use any electrical products. On the other hand the Mennonites, Amish off shoot, do drive and take the Amish around in vehicles. They also look very much a like. Who knows what you came upon. Run a way buggy, driver fell out. Most of their horse know the way home by themselves. I've seen several Amish a sleep as the horse continue on down the road. A good friend of mine lives in Amish country and I'm down there a lot. You have to watch out for all the horse droppings all over the roads! Damn Amish!!

Do you know how to satisfy an Amish woman?? With two Mennonite!....................................

11. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Amish are an offshoot of the Menonites, because they thought Menonites were not strict enough. When I lived in the Finger Lakes region of NY, we had a very large Menonite population. Their strictness varied depending on their Church. The had all kind of businesses requiring electricity and power tools. Most used traditional buggies, but the more progressive used plain black vans. The young Menonite contractor that dug my basement had a big Drott, dump trucks and other construction equipment.

12. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    What do you call the guy on the side of the road with his arm all the way up the horses Arse?

Amish Mechanic!

13. Leedawg

Leedawg New Member

Map
    OK I'll play. Amish gent takes his daugheter and son out for fresh pie. They buggy to the local Amish store and sit down and enjoy the pie. The Dad and son are plotting to marry her off to some old guy in exchange for grazing rights. Girl gets pissed off and jumps in the buggy and makes a run for it. Dad and son "borrow" a car. The son has to drive because they made him take drives education in school, but has never done it. They get close. Son stops and Dad makes a run for it. Dad forgets to close the door seeing how many buggies don't have doors! Son is laughing his ass off becasue Dad cant catch the buggy!!!!!!!!!
    Dad is VERY thankful for motorcycle rider stopping the buggy!!!
    Clean version. Someone needs to do the WRONG version!

14. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    I like this but to bad I didn't stop anything! I was laughing so hard I kept on going.

15. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, here's a story for you...

The young girl just got back from Rumspringa. She told her father that's she is going to stay in the modern world because she found love with a young punk rock guitarist in the big city. She jumps into the buggy to escape her father's wrath just as the punk rocker shows up in his car to take her back. The door on the car is open so she can jump into his car and speed away. The father is chasing her to bring her back to the homestead.

16. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    That sounds pretty good!