AMA Superbike Race-Birmingham

Discussion in 'USA - South' started by sebring, Nov 28, 2006.

1. sebring

sebring New Member

I am planning my first trip to a Superbike race, at Barbers in Birmingham April 20-22. Just wondering if any of you went last year, and if so, any suggestions appreciated. Especially, where to stay, and what I need to bring to survive the 3 days there. Also, is there any street action at nights: bike cruising, or bike cruise ins in or around Birmingham
    My plan is to load my VFR in my truck and bring the family with me. Hope to do some riding around Birmingham as well as hang out at the race track.
    Any information appreciated.
    sebring

2. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    Ride the Copperhead (Hwy 25 Leeds to Vandiver), see 29 Dreams, see Barber Museum.

Treat folks with courtesy, locals will treat you like Royalty.

Check www.thunderroadsalabama.com events in March for goings on, click events tab. With any luck, you'll have one of the best experiences of your life!

There is a real revolution going on in the B'ham area!

3. FLYONWALL

FLYONWALL New Member

That may be pretty fun. My sister just moved to Bham and
    would give me a good excuse to come visit, oh and stay
    for free. lol... When it gets closer to time mail or message
    me. I have never seen the track or museum but have seen
    them both several times on the boob tube.

4. sebring

sebring New Member

I was there last weekend and have to say it was a great day. For one thing, Honda Europe was there, staying at the same hotel as i was, and was using the track at Barbers to wring out the new CBR600. So, when I was at the museum I was able to watch them racing. Then, on Sat night Honda North America started moving in for their turn at the track.
    The museum is awesome. About 500 bikes, all makes and models, going way back to the early 1900s up until very recent. Saw a good collection of Honda V Fours, including a RC40/NR750 V4, 1992 model which was very unique and very cool. I had never seen one before. To top it off for me, they had 2 different bikes that were identical to ones I have owned previously, same year, same color. That was a kick for m.
    Highly recommended, and looking forward to being back for AMA superbike in April. It would be cool of a VFR meet could be arranged.

5. FLYONWALL

FLYONWALL New Member

I'm game for a VFR meet, if ya'll will let a NC30 join the big
    boys for a day of fun. I really would like to get to see
    my first in person AMA race. I'll more than likely trailer my
    bike up and then ride from my sisters place.

6. jarhead777

jarhead777 New Member

My Brother, my dad and myself rode up there last month for the vintage festival. We had a really nice time and a pretty good ride up and back. Its about 350 mi one way from here.

I'm guessing the AMA race will be in April like this year. Maybe we can have a meet there?

7. sebring

sebring New Member

Mike, I think the dates are April 20-22. Where did you guys stay when you went up there?

8. jarhead777

jarhead777 New Member

Sebring, we didn't plan ahead so we stopped at the first hotel advertising free internet (Sleep Inn Bessemer, Al exit 6 on 459). I think it was about 75/night. There was not a whole lot in that area, we walked next door to the Pizza Hut for dinner. It was about 30-45 min ride to the track in the morning.
    Hope this helps. Mike

9. sebring

sebring New Member

Thanks, Mike. Yep, I have stayed in Bessemer before, not much there. Am hoping to get a reasonably priced room, within 20 minutes of Barbers. Hope to see you there.

10. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Sebring - Bro in law and myself definetely intend to go - wouldn't miss it for anything. I know diddly squat about the Birmingham area.

I would like to meet up with some like minded enthusiasts, though...it would make the trip that much more fun.

My company has a branch in B-ham - I was planning to contact them and see what kind of recommendation I could get for reasonably priced place close to the track. Maybe if there is enough interest a group rate could be had.

Whaddya say? Legs? Flyonwall? Jarhead? Y'all interested?

11. FLYONWALL

FLYONWALL New Member

Oh I'm surely going to go. Have a buddy that is on the fence
    and not sure if my sister is going to be an ass about me staying
    at her place. I may just not say anything to her and have my
    own fun.

12. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    Guys,

Try Motel Birmingham, Comfort Inn -Leeds, Hampton Inn Trussville, Holiday Inn Express- Trussville all under $70 and 15 minutes from track!

13. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Legs - thanks for the tip - I'll check them out.

You know, since you live in B-ham, that would kinda make you a natural ringleader for a group meet....

I know I would really appreciate meeting someone there who knows the lay of the land. In addition to the racing and the museum, I'd like to get out and ride some too. :party:

14. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Hey keep me in the loop too - sounds like a good idea. I'm in Ohio and I have a buddy in NY that may go, this would make a good spring kick off ride. It would be a 2 day ride for us. (What's a truck?:biggrin: )

MD

15. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mello - The more the merrier! Since it is still months away, not many can probably commit yet.

I'm already excited about it, though. I have to put in for the time off well ahead anyway. I'm even putting in for time to go to Atlanta in the fall.

16. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    Guys, Our GM at Heart of Dixie HD said that he would love to do something with the VFR folk who come to April Barber meet.

Keep in mind that everyone at Heart of Dixie and Riders are real bikers. We have one of the most opulent facilities in the US.

Most employees have several bikes. This Sat. in addition to the usual Harleys was an Aprilia RSV, my VFR, several BMWs and a few uber customs. Let's get together and see Barber, 29 Dreams, Indian Hills, and let Heart of Dixie and/or Riders do something for us!:lever:

17. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Legs - Sounds to me like the beginning of a good time.

I'll revive this thread periodically - I wouldn't be surprised if this group ended up being pretty large.

As we get closer - say February / March - I'll see if I can negotiate a group rate with one of the hotels you mentioned. By then, we should have a better idea about how many plan to go.

18. Howardbj

Howardbj New Member

Hey guys, I'm interested as well. Live in Tallahassee, if anyone in the area wants to hook up for a ride to B'ham.

19. Ferris

Ferris New Member

:bump2:

As promised, here's another reminder to mark your calendar for great time in L.A.!!

No, son, not Los Angeles....Lower Alabama! :loco:

This promises to be a real hoot, unlike the Sanitized For Your Protection version in Knoxville (Hell, I live nearby, and I'm not going this year - I've heard enough Shadows with open pipes to last me awhile, thanks) By mid February, I'll have prices and availability on decent hotel rooms close to the track.

Birmingham has a lot to offer, and I can't wait. Just seeing Barber is worth the trip.

Who knows? By then, maybe I'll quit looking and actually buy a freaking VFR!

20. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Paging Legs - check your e-mail!