AL to TX

Discussion in 'USA - South' started by carlgustav, Aug 10, 2008.

1. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Hi Folks,

Planning a trip to visit my son in late Fall, from Hsv, AL to Austin, TX. Gonna take 2 days out, 2 back. Anyone got advice/ideas on nice routes that don't necessarily follow major interstates? Feedback welcome :smile:.

On a different note, maybe for a different forum?, also thinking about carrying on the way (handgun). Possibly an ankle gun, thoughts? My existing handguns are a bit large I think (6" .357, P89 9mm)?

TIA,
    Anders

2. benjammer

benjammer New Member

Hello.........if you use an ankle holster make sure your pants come down far enough to hide it when riding. You may scare some folks going down the road with gun showing. Do you have enough room to put it in your tank bag or tail bag?

3. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Hi,

Good point about the pants. I'm presently researching riding pants, comfortable, roomy, with over the boot ankles. This might keep the concealed weapon ... concealed. Also, possibly wearing on the inside of the calf. In any case, I'm more afraid of 'them' (drivers) than they are of me ;^).

I could put it in my tailbag, but accessibility would be an issue. And transferring gun to person when stopped, while not a big problem, especially for a small handgun, is still a potential for scaring the general public.

And yes, in over 30 yrs. of riding, I've only, or actually, had three incidents where a personal weapon would have been useful. Not that I would have shot to kill, but I damn well would have shot to warn off.

Thx.

4. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Might as well leave it at home if you're just going to shoot to warn off. If you have to shoot, it better be into your intended target. "Warning" shots only put others at risk.

Nothing saying you can't make your first round or two non-lethal though. ;)

5. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

I don't disagree with shooting to kill when warranted. In two of my riding incidents, a couple of shots into the body of the vehicles may have been enough though ... maybe :^).

6. benjammer

benjammer New Member

7. 15dollar

15dollar New Member

Map
    Do you have a Concealed Carry Licence? If not, get one. Also, don't pull your gun unless you intend to shoot to kill. In Texas the law is on your side in a shoot to kill situation. If you fire a warning shot or use the presence of the weapon as a scare tactic, you can get into legal trouble. Be careful and have fun. Most, non-interstate highways in the Texas Hill Country are fun. Stay off I-10 and you should be just fine.

8. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Yes, I have a concealed carry permit. What if I 'intended to kill' but didn't, as in 'gee Officer, they were trying to kill me with their vehicle so I fired to kill them but missed due to lack of stable platform ... but I wasn't trying to scare them, honest'. :^).

I have no plans to get on I-10, not my favorite interstate in LA, etc.

Thanx.