Air Filter Gasket Location

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Maggot, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    I changed the oil / filter and air filter yesterday and noticed something strange. The air filter gasket was installed in the gasket groove in the air box cover! This may be picking nits but why put the gasket between the filter and cover when the area above the filter is open to dirty air?

My thoughts are the gasket should be mounted in the groove in the base of the air box between the filter and the base to keep dirty air from seeping in around the filter.

This is the original filter so it was installed by Honda this way. Did they screw up or is there some reason to do this that I don't understand? The screws on the air box seal very well and I doubt there is much leakage when it is all put back together but I still think the gasket should be between the filter and the base. The service manual does not show the location of the gasket. I may try and check a parts list and see if they show the location.

I put it back together the way it came but I'm still skeptical.

Where is the Gasket on your Bike?

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    there were 2 gaskets on my air box from the factory. one above the oe filter and one below. these must both be removed before dropping in an after market filter, for proper fitmit.

3. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry for the late reply. I did replace the original OE with another OE. I should probably check a little closer and make double sure I don't have a second gasket below the filter. I'm 99% sure I don't but now I am starting to doubt myself.

Thanks for the input!