Aftermarket seat for a '97 VFR750F

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by KiwiRC36Fan, Dec 21, 2018.

1. KiwiRC36Fan

KiwiRC36Fan New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    OK.... so I haven't even put 1,000 km's on my new wheels, and I'm wondering how the heck I source a decent aftermarket seat for it?

I checked both Corbin and Sargent websites, and neither list anything older than 1998.
    How different are the seats/fittings?

Has anyone got or sourced an aftermarket for an older model?
    If so, can you point me in a good direction?

I don't much want to be sending the seat away overseas for fitting (I live in New Zealand - freights a killer, not to mention being without a seat until it gets back!)
    I don't so much mind one-way freight, just knowing something more comfy is on its way will keep me going through these summer months! (yes, its coming into the heat of summer here now)

Any ideas anyone?

2. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    I would find someone there and just get it re-padded and recovered. Or Sargent would probably sell you a cover that you can install yourself if the foam is okay.

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Try and source a cheap beat up used seat just for the pan then find somebody qualified to rebuild the seat as locally as you can, then you won't be without a seat while it gets rebuilt.

4. KiwiRC36Fan

KiwiRC36Fan New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I've just read reviews on the Airhawk cushions - anyone have any feedback on these?

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Friend of mine Sport Toured on a Ducati 748 with one. It made sense on his vinyl covered brick (NOTHING ELSE MADE SENSE ABOUT HIS CHOICE), but I would go with something a little more integrated and classy. It's like putting a wood bead seat cover in your NSX.

6. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    My wife has an Airhawk cushion on the seat of her TU250. She likes it but I don't.

7. KiwiRC36Fan

KiwiRC36Fan New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I hope you're not knocking my wooden beads on the drivers seat of the Bentley... really?

I absolutely get what you are saying - the reviews of the Air Hawk are good and I've used them in rehab work with wheelchair patients, so know the brand well. Function over Form in this instance.

I've decided to not do anything with the seat in the first instance, but I will let you all know the project scope in a separate post.
    (new bars, grips, levers, bar-ends, crash nogs, new keyless ignition.)
    I've already done brakes/chain/sprockets/filters/throttle cables - knee pads on the tank. I'm finialising the electronics for the ignition system currently - like I said separate post. I also used Nano-Energizer oil additive - which I've had huge success with in other project bikes.... <I'll await the cursing on this, but I'll show you the actual figures once it's done its 1500km settle in. In my old Yamaha projects - both of them had improved compression, cleaner oil each change, and used significantly less gas. So the experience speaks for me>

So yeah, the seat can wait.

The last major thing I'm working on is locating a Baehr communications system... if anyone knows where I can source one, please PM me!!
    I have found a single unit in Germany, but at over $1000 landed cost for unit alone, I know there will be functional units around a lot less. (I already have my helmet setup for the Baehr system)
    Local law enforcement use them here, I'm just having trouble getting the local supplier to make any available, *apparently* they've gone out of business as a manufacturer. So I'm still trying to source some retired Police units.... wish me luck!