Aftermaket screens, are they worth it?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Mike_Sussex, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Mike_Sussex

Mike_Sussex New Member

Has anyone had any joy with larger screens, aftermarket or honda? Do they help deflect the wind significantly, do they cause any instability or affect turbulence?

I am finding that travelling at 90-100 gets me a fair amount of blast in the face.

Any experiences would be gratefully received.

2. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

Windscreens are different for everyone depending on how high they sit off the seat. For me, the OEM screen is the best. I tried the Zero Gravity Double Bubble and it put the windblast right in the middle of my faceshield causing lots of buffeting. I actually prefer to have my entire helmet in clean air. The OEM screen puts the windblast right under my helmet at the breastbone. I get bugs up in my helmet on ocassion though hehe. The GIVI touring screen is also a popular screen. It has the flipped up area along the top edge of the screen. You really just have to try them to know if they will work for you. Even if you find another rider that is your same size, most riders have a different preference for the amount of windblast they get.

Where are you? There are several places in the country with high concentrations of VFRs and you might find some people willing to let you do a short test ride so you can see how the different screens feel.

Adios,

3. Mike_Sussex

Mike_Sussex New Member

Wotcha,
    You've just summed up my problem :D
    I've seen these other screens but dont have a feel for what difference they would make to my journey.
    I am 5'10" and dont have a particularly agressive riding stance, yet we all ride differently, so it's not easy to compare experiences.
    I am based on UK South coast - if there's anybody around with a screen they would be willing to let me at...I would be gratefoole...
    Mike

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I've got a Givi flip-up, which I can recommend for up to 130mph (allegedly!)

Hasta la VFRia Siempre!!

5. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

I have a Laminar Lip that I used for a couple thousand miles on my 02. Initially, I thought it was doing a better job deflecting air upward, but the more I switched back and forth between it and the stock shield, the more I liked the stock shield because it's consistent at any speed. Like the "meister," I found I liked it better when my helmet was in clean air. The Lip caused some high speed buffeting that I didn't like. So now I'm a stock shield believer, and when I'm going 100+ (allegedly) I just tuck in... If you want to buy my Lip and try it, I'll make you a heck of a deal!! Ride safe- Rick :D

6. Mike_Sussex

Mike_Sussex New Member

You know - as I am getting used to my bike I am finding a similar 'tuck-in' thang is working for me, but I look at other guys with a bubble or something and am tempted to try. Sounds like if I got one, I would need to investigate the sell-on value anyway...

Thanks for your views.

7. dm4113

dm4113 New Member

I'm 6-01 and own a 98 VFR. I got buffeted around pretty good with the stock screen, so I installed a Zero Gravity ST. I'm very please with the new screen and don't bounced around like before.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a NEW National Cycle Cheetah SST N3731 for sale. It's DARK TINT and said to fit 1998-1999 VFR800's, but should fit 98-01.
    I haven't installed it, so it's brand new. It was not quite what I was looking for.
    It retails at National Cycle for $60 plus. I'll sell it for $45 plus shipping. If anyone's interested in the Bay Area, pick up is not a problem.
    Also I tried to post this in the classifieds, but ended up with an error.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I shoulda been more specific. I live in San Jose. Thanks for the response and sorry to bastardize this thread. I actually meant to reply to Mike_Sussex request for a windshield.

10. Mike_Sussex

Mike_Sussex New Member

Hi yellow2k,
    I live in UK, so not sure how cost effective this is likely to be for either of us.
    What would shipping be?
    Mike