Advice on CL buy. 1997 VFR 750 -- $1500

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by calebkemper, Sep 27, 2014.

1. calebkemper

calebkemper New Member

Been poking around the forum, and VFRs look like some solid bikes! Still a newb though, so I'm looking for some advice on this buy:
    http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/4649638139.html

Emailed the guy, says it has 70,000 miles on it, which isn't too high if it's been well-maintained from what I hear around here, right?

At the moment, I'm looking for something that's going to cost me around $2500 and be my main commuter and transportation for a couple of years.

Seems like I might be able to pull this one with maybe ~$500 maintenance to fix her up.

Any advice? Red flags?

Cheers,

Caleb

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Where'd the fairing sides go? Replacing those, if you'd planned on it, could get expensive. Looks like some scuffing on the front fairing, so it may have been down, which would explain why there are no fairing sides. If so, check for other damage or new/replaced parts. If it's been down, there could be other underlying problems that won't necessarily be found easily.

I'd kind of wonder why the carbs have been cleaned if it's a daily rider.

Good luck.

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I think that since its missing fairings you should at least get $750 off. Thats just me though, also, mileage is too high based on the condition. My 80,000 mile viffer could pass for one with half of them and it is a one owner almost. My 140,000 mile Grand Marquis could pass for one with 75,000 miles, not bragging, just saying. Condtion, condition, condition.

4. xorbe

xorbe New Member

That is so going into my CL listing when I sell my Ninja. "Only one owner, except for the previous two."

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Just saying it ^ the "bike" is dogged oot. My 91 Interceptor was a 4000 mile bike I bought in 94 with 4000 miles or so for $4500. The body work was rashed on one side, but it was complete. That bike is no stranger to the tarmac mind you, but I did have it painted in 2006, lowers/mids/uppers. Original paint on petrol tank and tail. Came oot decent and gives me something to wax. I picked up a 93 with 15,000 miles or so but had to trailor it home. Paid $500 for it and it needed a petrol tank, carb over-haul, calipers rebuilt, t-stat, regulator, the list goes on a little bit more. In the end, it goes well and is a tiny bit smoother than the 91.

What kinda Ninja? CL is full of scams and some dreamers selling over-priced junk. Good luck

6. thegreatnobody

thegreatnobody New Member

Map
    Way too much. A thousand tops.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Nope keep looking. It may take some time, dont be in a rush. So if ya find a good example and you said 500 to fix this one...you may be able to find a decent complete bike for 3K. Took me 6 months to find mine,2002 with 1800 miles but was VERY picky looking.......no drops or crashes...that one fer sure took a horizontal nap. JMO of course it's your $$$$$

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I think you have too much time on your hands Bro...the original post was from September of 2014, as was the last prior to yours, I think the OP passed on this one...

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Your dam right....didn't even look at the post date.
    Can you say FU*KING boredom to the max.
    Maybe he's still looking...thanks D