Actual tire width of different brands

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Captain 80s, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I need some opinions and/or measurements of different brands and how the actual width differs from the "size".

I have an Avon 170/60-17 on my 1000R wheel swap that measures 178mm. I'm looking at a Pirelli for my 1000F swap and would like to know how Pirellis typically run. I know that every tire/application is a little different, but If I could get a feeling on a brand I'll take a chance. I read on a supermoto forum that Pirellis tend to run closest to advertised width. Dunlops being the opposite (wider). And the reason they were discussing it is the same reason I'm asking: chain clearance.

Thoughts? Experiences?

2. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    In the 180 size, Avons used to run a little wider than the rest. If you're using the OEM size and wheel, you shouldn't have to worry about anything.

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Yep, I've encountered that with Avons as well.

The reason I am asking is the application is not OEM. On a VF1000R I have swapped in a VTR1000F 5.5 inch rear wheel. The 170/60-17 Avon (that measures an actual 178) just fits between the chain and the right swingarm with a little room for flex (this is same wheel and chain center line as stock). The VF1000F that I am swapping a 1990 CBR1000F 5.5 inch rim in on has the same clearances. I am looking for a brand that might run a little truer to it's listed size to gain a little more clearance.