ABS v. No ABS

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by B.Craig, Oct 17, 2008.

1. B.Craig

B.Craig New Member

Map
    Hello all. I've been reading your posts for a few weeks but this is my first time contributing. I have my eye on a 2007 VFR Anniversary Edition. Luckily, two dealerships near me have never been ridden versions of this bike sitting on their floors right now. The only difference, one has ABS, the other does not. For a newer rider, what are your thoughts on whether the ABS version is worth the extra expense. Thanks for the feedback, and I look forward to soon being a new and proud owner of a Honda VFR.

2. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Welcome and congrats at choosing such a awesome ride. This topic has been discussed many times with many different opinions of view coming to light. I will tell you the following...

The ABS system adds 11lbs to the bike.
    The ABS bike comes with a hydraulic pre-load adjuster vs the wrench.
    The ABS bike has different color brake calipers.
    The ABS bike has less space under the cowls where you may want to put stuff.
    The ABS bike adds about $1000 to the tag.

The ABS system is the smoothest and one of the most transparent systems I have ever seen and would not without a doubt hazard to say it's one of the best bike systems out there.

Not sure if you can tell by my tone, I love mine and I bought an ABS on purpose. For me the extra peace of mind is gold.

Hope that helps...

3. julianivfr

julianivfr New Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm in full support. It only has to work once for you to be worth the extra expense. I bought mine as a newbie too, so you'll be in good company.

My recommendation is that if you can, get ABS.

4. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    +1 to what Jason and Julianivfr said. It adds value to the bike and could save your butt.

Action

5. B.Craig

B.Craig New Member

Map
    Wow, you guys are quick with the responses! Your thoughts reflect the way I was already leaning, but it is confirming to hear from experienced riders.

6. mikelc10

mikelc10 New Member

Ditto all of the above.
    Go with the ABS if you can:)

7. elf800

elf800 Banned

abs sucks I want to feel the bike stop while i pull and push on the brake lever and petal..sometimes or most of the time you don't need a back brake, and I don't want it dragging when i'm not pushing on it and its another thing to break. for 1k more you can get your side bags or after market exhuast and pc111..

8. supervfr

supervfr Banned

ABS doesnt change the feel of the brakes. they do not even engage unless the wheels stop spinning. and at that point your looking at hitting the pavement.

9. powerslave

powerslave New Member

Map
    I have never heard a convincing arguement against ABS.
    I believe some nay-sayers don't have a clear understanding of exactly how it works,or have never ridden an ABS VFR.
    The ABS leaves you in full control and you'll never know it's there until you LOCK up!
    I'd much rather have the ABS and the confidence it brings.

And as far as the $1,000 goes,think of it as an investment......in your knees,hands,face,and bike!!!

10. landlover

landlover New Member

United States
    Map
    The biggest point is right up there "The ABS leaves you in full control and you'll never know it's there until you LOCK up!"

We are creatures of habit, when a O-SH** situation happens we do what we have been doing all along, grab the brakes and with ABS you can grab as much as you want. If you are in a curve though make sure the bike is up all the way though before you slam the brakes on. Take the MSF BRC course!

2ยข
    beginner also
    Good Luck

11. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Newbie rider? Get the ABS.

MD

12. Interceptor1

Interceptor1 New Member

99% on the road, 1% on the track, get the ABS. [​IMG]

13. B.Craig

B.Craig New Member

Map
    Got it. Thanks for all the posts, and the decision is made. Very appreciated. Again, the ABS bike was definitely the direction I was leaning, and it is reassuring to hear that it is the correct choice. I'm sure there will be other questions, and look forward to being apart of the VFR community for a long time to come.

14. B.Craig

B.Craig New Member

Map
    Oh yeah, now to decide to get the saddle bags or not? The choices never end.

15. jackinthebox4

jackinthebox4 New Member

Map
    ABS is great.
    I almost said hello to tree blown down by rainstorms in September on the way home from work. stopped smooth, no skidding after passing thru a nice "S" turn.

the CBR's have it now.

leave it honda to make it work and be reliable.

16. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

After a broken collar bone, ABS is not an option.

And for the extra cost, look at it as the money you spend now so you don't have to spend so much more on bills for the repair of your non-ABS bike plus your hospital bill.

17. BASFjon

BASFjon New Member

I bought the VFR for ABS. Would have been a different Bike if not for the ABS. I've never heard it working, but I've never locked them up either, even when I though they should have.

Personally, I like the rear adjuster knob that the ABS only versions come with. I think using a wrench would have sucked because I use this bike for everything. 2-up and loaded down quite often. But then I take it to work on and off. I don't change the settings much - found a good marginal setting, and I don't push the bike, I know it's limits - but have the adjuster easy to change, right there is a good piece of mind thing you'll appreciate. I do.

I can't think of a reason as why not to buy one. And personally I think a lot of people look for VFR's second hand with ABS.

18. B.Craig

B.Craig New Member

Map
    The Verdict is in....

Well I purchased my ride yesterday, and went with the ABS version. I posted some pictures of the bike, and can't wait for the many miles of sheer enjoyment ahead.

Thanks for the advise, it helped make the final decision easy.

19. supervfr

supervfr Banned

nice lookin bike.

Hope you never end up using the abs.

20. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    No one here mentioned that having ABS on your motorcycle should also give you an insurance discount.

Personally, I don't have the ABS model.They do not work well if you happen to have to take your bike on a sandy parking lot or gravel drive, where tire contact is an on-off proposition and ABS gets the jitters. If you are adept with the way the linked brake system works I don't really think you'll ever activate the ABS.

Hell, some people on here don't know how to handle a bike with linked brakes for the most part. Some hate them, some love them.

In the above example of a gravel road, remember that tapping onto your rear brakes ALSO taps the one pad on the front, regardless if it's ABS or not! That one pad has a lot of stopping potential depending on your speed, the brake pressure applied, and if you are in a turn or not. That can fuck you up in a heartbeat if you come onto the brakes too strong. At higher speeds during a turn (you shouldn't be braking during a turn anyway, but some novices do) you'll notice the bike standing up a bit because you also activate the front brake when tapping on the rear brake, and you have to lean more to correct it. That sudden weight shift should cause you to let off the brake and lean more to correct anyway.

The front brake WILL initially lock up before letting go, and you know at low speed that means the bike's gonna tip over on it's side, especially when trying to manuever during a slow turn or parking space manuever. So much for linked brakes. You'll notice this when turning in and braking for a parking spot. It takes a soft touch. Something you learn as you get used to your new bike.

I'm indifferent to ABS or not, and I would prefer non-linked brakes for better control of front or back brakes seperately. I think they're good brakes even if they weren't linked. Get EBS brake pads and you'll have greater stopping power! Then you'll have to get an even softer touch with your brakes!

In my opinion, ABS is only good at maximizing straight line stopping. My brain can tell me when my tire locks and I can do the same adjusting. But I have been riding for about 35 years now.