A VFR 1200 in my garage

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Richard Thompson, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    [​IMG]
    Even though I thought I wouldn’t get one straight away, there is now a brand new silver VFR 1200 in my garage. I did a 100km test ride last Tuesday, took a couple of days to chew it over, wrangled over quite a few of the details, worked out all the costs etc and picked her up Friday afternoon.
    So my beloved RWB is gone, but not forgotten, and she covered roughly half the cost of her replacement. At first I thought this was an expensive bike but when I researched a bit I found it cost less than the new list price for both the Yamaha FJR1300 and BMW K1300S by at least a $1000, so in the context of its current contemporaries it does ok on cost factor.
    First thing I would say is that it looks better in the flesh than it does in pictures.
    [​IMG]
    My second initial impression is that it looks much smaller than I expected it to and it is indeed narrow. This plays well with the handling and I was throwing it around quite quickly. I would note that compared to my 6th gen (which I rode back to back with the1200 after the test ride) it feels heavier, but it’s a bit like the CBR1100 black bird in that respect. Once underway it feels easy to maneuver and with a truck load of power! The 6th gen felt like a 600 supersport by comparison afterwards.
    Speaking of power, the most useful comparison i have is against the ST1300. The ST’s 1300cc transverse V4, shaft driven engine has a similar feel, sound and delivery. Having spent a year with an ST13 it was immediately apparent that it was part of the VFR1200’s heritage.
    Its certainly not fireblade type power, as its very bottom end/midrange orientated and is much like a rampant steam locomotive (that’s my best visual comparative) its also like a V8 type power delivery with a smooth torquey spread. Roll ons were excellent fun!

Handling wise I found it to be very neutral and balanced. At speed in the corners it feels totally planted and steady. And with mucho power on tap it was easy to power through sweepers at some serious pace.
    [​IMG]
    The front USDs seem well matched to the rear suspension for my riding style. It has a handy, easily accessible preload adjuster knob on the left side of the bike The shaft drive didn’t worry me at all, and I’ve had a couple of other shaft driven bikes. There was certainly no sign of ‘shaft jacking’ that pumps the rear up under acceleration on some older designs. And on the bright side there’s no stretchy chain or adjustments and no rear wheel coated in chain lube.
    [​IMG]
    The ride position is reminiscent of a 6th gen with a forward slant to the bars. The angle at the rear of the tank is a good indicator to your body angle as you sit on the bike. It’s relatively comfortable, with bar risers similar to a 6th gen. The rear end kicks up in sport bike fashion with a reasonable amount of pillion seat available. I thought swinging a leg over may be an issue, but at 5’ 10” I have no problems. I found it very similar to my 6th gen and defiantly more sport oriented than tour.
    [​IMG]
    The instrument cluster is excellent, with lots of info at hand and I was pleased to see a gear indicator (very handy) along with all the usual VFR readouts. To the left is the speed in digital form with the all important fuel gauge right next it. The central tacho dominates proceedings and on the right you have the gear indicator, eng temp reading, amb air temp and clock. It also does that zippy thing, where the tach needle sweeps around to the stop and back on start up! When you look over the instruments at windscreen it is very reminiscent of the 6th gen with its air slot at the base of the screen blade.
    [​IMG]
    Its definitely got that ‘cylon head’ thing going on in the front…LOL. And I do like the floating panels on the fairing, the styling is discreet, with a small Honda badge and the VFR1200 logo sitting midway down on the front fairing in a subdued manner.
    The mini VFR tank pad is standard and also a nice touch.
    [​IMG]
    To my mind the rear end of the bike looks totally modern and really dates other bikes of a similar purpose. The single sided swingarm and rear wheel uber cool. As for the muffler, well….i guess that’s down to personal taste, and its not mine. But it does its job, and it makes the VFR sound a lot like the ST. I will prefer to change it out when some suitable replacement becomes available. At the moment the best thing I can say about it is that you can’t see it while your riding! I do like the under slung position and really, underseat pipes are now so 1990’s!...LOL
    [​IMG]
    With all this comes the loss of the centrestand…bummer.

While we’re nit picking the biggest glitch for me is on the left side handle bar. It’s the giant sized horn button, which is now located where the indicator slide used to be.
    [​IMG]
    The indicator slide button is now underneath the horn button and smaller ( which is opposite to the 6th gen set up) the bottom line is that you tend to hit the horn when you go for the indicator. So I find myself having to retrain my brain to ‘be careful’ when trying to operate the indicator. Quite frankly I rarely use the horn so why it should take priority over the indicator switch, which is used constantly, is beyond me.

I did get caught in a traffic jam on the way home and I did note a certain amount of snatch at low speed in first gear roll ons. Second gear seemed to help smooth this out (lucky this beast is a torque monster)

I also noticed my right foot got a bit of a toasting in the heel area, that’s something I will have a look into, and was reminiscent of my first ZZr 1100 which did the same thing
    However this may be a handy feature in places like Canada.

The OEM tires are Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmarts, the front is a 120/70 ZR17 and the rear is a 190 /55 ZR17.I don’t have a lot of experience on Dunlops, my previous ones being the dreaded D204’s that came as standard on a couple of my VTR’s. So I’m interested to see how these run.

The fuel recommended is also 96+ octane. No cheap dino juice for this baby.

So to round up….

Good points: Latest styling
    Fanastic torquey engine
    Tight handling package
    Great instrument console

Minus points: ugly muffler
    Dumb position for horn/indicator
    Snatchy in first gear/low speed roll ons

Its early days in terms of ownership and km’s ridden and I will post more insights as I go.
    I expect to get in about 2 more months of riding before the summer starts to recess fully
    So we’ll see what we can find out about this great new bike.

2. park800

park800 New Member

Map
    Beautiful, that is my favorite color for the 1200, wish the U.S. would get it. CONGRATS!!!

3. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats, it is a good looking bike. :thumb:

4. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm diggin the bike more and more especially now that people are getting their hands on them and "real" pics are popping up. I've got three complaints about the bike and that deals with the rear fender, the muffler, and the area where the tank meets the fairings. Two of those can easily be addressed in due time with aftermarket parts but that look between tank and fairing just doesn't quite sit well with me. Oh well... everything else on it has grown... maybe that will too.

Congrats on the new Viffer!

5. leftcoast

leftcoast New Member

United States
    somewhere near Seattle, but my heart is just north
    Map
    Nice Bike. Very nice write up.
    keep us posted as time goes on....

thanks!

6. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Nice thanks for the writeup, I'm interested to see what kind of aftermarket pipes will come up for this.

7. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Congrats on the new toy! Thanks so much for a prompt and through write up on the new beast, we've all been wondering how it is in real life (aside from seeing and sitting on one). Here's hoping to many miles ahead and happiness with your new purchace.

8. Solomoto

Solomoto New Member

Map
    Congrats on the new VFR, nice color.

Regarding your complaint on the turn signal/horn button, there is a rationale behind this as you may suspect. It'll become very obvious once you see the DCT shift buttons. Since the down shift button is placed at the bottom of the stack, you don't want to have 2 similar looking buttons adjacent to each other which would be confusing. By swapping the horn/indicator as they did, you now have a comfortable spatial separation between the horn and down shift buttons.

9. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Congrats my friend! She looks great in that color and even better in YOUR driveway.:thumb:

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    LoL what can I say..... :cool: :confused: :rolleyes: :wink: Nice write up Richard, best I've read from any site or magazine, Good job.

11. jdmbird83

jdmbird83 New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, that is such a beautiful bike. All the pic's I had seen up until the ones you posted didn't do her justice. Originally I thought it was a strange looking bike, but your pic's tell me differently. And that color is awesome. Congrat's on the new bike.

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Since someone now has one, ridden it, likes it and has not yet run out of gas. I have decided I hate it. No particular reason involved. I mean did you see the color of those buttons? MY GOD! What are they thinking.

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Have to agree that silver makes the bike oh so much better, Now where's the white one hiding at? I heard the brits get one.

14. SwitchBladeVfr

SwitchBladeVfr New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the pic's and great write up.

15. CBR600F4i

CBR600F4i New Member

I think that is a great change, no matter what their reason. Your thumb is normally wrapped below the buttons, it makes sense to have the most used (turn signals) closer to your thumb's resting position. I often hit the horn by mistake when going past it to get to the signals. I agree it's unusual that they would stray from what has been the standard layout for decades, and it will take some time to get used to it, but to me it makes sense.

16. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Neat, and congrats! Do you do your own maintenance, such as oil changes, etc? I'm curious to see how accessible the normal sorts of things are.

17. runnerhiker

runnerhiker New Member

Map
    Richard,

Congratulations! That silver/gray color looks much better than the red.

Tell us about heat management and engine vibrations. Is there heat near the right foot? How smooth is it?

Ron

18. Richard Thompson

Map
    well for the next two years it will be dealer serviced to stay within the factory warranty terms and conditions. but i do intend to have an investigate to see whats up underneath.

19. Richard Thompson

Map
    thanks Ron, so far i've noticed heat build up on both sides and curiously particularly on the soles of my riding boots. but certainly i noticed it on the right side first.
    however it is summer here and quite hot at the moment. this could play a factor, but i wont know till things cool down a bit here.

in terms of smooth, i'd say very smooth, in this respect its very reminescent of the ST1300 in the way it delivers smooth linear power all the way thru the rev range.

20. Twin Turbo B5

Twin Turbo B5 New Member

Great writeup, I tend to agree about the muffler design as well. I'd like to see what the dash looks like at night and ask your opinion on a couple of other things:

7th Gen vs. 6th Gen
    Mirrors - besides the larger diameter, how's the view?
    Windscreen - more or less protection?