A quick 3 day juant through the Pacific Northwest

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by heymike, Jul 9, 2008.

1. heymike

heymike New Member

United States
    Map
    I hope you enjoy viewing this as much as I enjoyed writing it... I also posted this on our local PNWriders forum.

When it comes to multi-day trips for me, I usually spend some quality time planning and readjusting the route. I had three days off without having to use any vacation time. Knowing my son would hang with his Mom’s side of the family, this seemed like a good weekend to “get lost”.

I packed up the trusty steed, an 86 VFR750 for the adventure.
    [​IMG]

Since this was a Holiday weekend would lodging be a problem? Better carry the tent and bag in case. I knew the weather was going to be sketchy, so I brought more than I needed.

I left Kirkland at 9:30 with a heavy marine layer of clouds. I begin to wonder if I’m going to be getting wet as I headed for the Edmonds/Kingston run. I was the last one on the ferry. I park right behind a beautiful woman who starts to engage me about my trip. I recently became single after 20+ years….I tell myself “Things are looking good already”. I get off the boat in Kingston and the locals are lining the street for their parade. I ride slowly through town doing my best parade wave to the kids as they yell “Do a pop a wheelie”. Not today my little friends, not today.
    I’m totally amazed by the fact that there is no traffic once I get out of Kingston. This was basically the case the whole trip. Blew me away, I guess the Arabs are winning and most folks stayed close to home.

This is my first run past Port Angeles. I leave PA and head south on the 101. I thought the view of Lake Aldwell was incredible from the Hwy, but didn’t feel the need to stop for photos. Lake Crescent was a pretty as I have been told. It starts to get a little moist when I push into Beaver, but the sky starts to clear as I approach the Ocean for my first look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I head farther south towards Aberdeen the heavy showers begin. They only last for a few miles at a stretch. I fuel up in Hoquiam and decide riding along the Beach isn’t worth it and stay on 101. I stop in Megler at the rest stop to put on my clear face shield and figure out if I should continue south on the 101 or start my trek eastward.
    [​IMG]

Eastward it is. I hit Hwy 30 to Portland where I will stay the night at the Shilo Inn past the airport. It has a nice bar to kick back in and unwind. Day 1 = 455 Miles

I woke to guess what? Pouring RAIN of course. I have a few decisions to make. Either stay in the room and rent a movie or just gear up and go. I hit I-84 to beat the rain. It starts to clear in the Cascade Locks area. I took this photo from the Mitchell Lookout.
    [​IMG]

I stop in The Dalles for fuel and to view the map for the days outing with the only thing in mind “avoid the rain”.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hwy 197 looks like a nice route and away I went. I've never seen more cool old cedar houses, barns and shacks then I have in Oregon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next stop is Maupin. I look at the map again and determine that I will stay the evening in Baker City. So now the decision is to pick the most fun route.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It goes something like this: Maupin to Shaniko to Fossil. Thanks to Jay (RVFR) for the secret route. I think I left a healthy chunk of my center stand on this road. My head has never swiveled that far behind my shoulders to see where the road is going. Those were some of the tightest corners I have ever been on. One after another. When I finally meet you Jay, the drinks are on me. This road is in my future again, that's for sure.

Fossil was having a town party. I fueled up and checked out the car show and had a great home-style burger before leaving town.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From Fossil, I took Hwy 19 to Long Creek. I must have seen maybe 100 cars the whole way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From there it’s Hwy 395 to Mt. Vernon/John Day and then east on Hwy 26 to the Hwy 7 Junction. Just out of Sumpter I run into another group of cool old buildings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then had a spirited ride along Phillips Lake and the Powder River to Baker.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They remembered me at the Best Western and set me up in a nice room overlooking the pool, which my body was now aching for. The hotel was lined with bikes. Had a few drinks with Harley riders, I know what you’re thinking. They were more like the guys in the Movie “Wild Hogs”. Good times. Day 2 = 412 Miles

This is the last day of the trip and I know it's going to be a long one. I wake to perfect weather (I think I’m moving here in a few years). I know that Hells Canyon is on the agenda, so off I head on Hwy 86. The Powder River runs forever along this road and I find a spread of land that happens to be for sale. I picture myself sitting on the front porch swing drinking a few beers.
    [​IMG]

Stop off in Halfway for a quick breakfast and then head up NF39 to the lookout. There were too many photo ops, so I just kept riding. Again, no traffic. It felt like I was the only one alive. I get to the lookout and it’s all mine for about 20 minutes. The photos do not do it justice. It was about 10am so there was still a haze from the morning. As I’m ready to gear up and leave a great couple from Indiana riding a 94 H-D Classic show up. They are on a 30 day trip around the country. They were on day 10 and never touched the slab. I showed them some great highways to hit in Northern Cal to avoid the fires. I hope you get the read this Bones and Beth. It was a pleasure to meet you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time to get serious about heading home. I know I want to stay off the slab as much as possible. I make my way to Hwy 82 and run it hard to Elgin for lunch. The little diner is packed with riders. So I know the food must be good.
    I had to take a photo of the H-D with the trailer. If you notice closely you will see the tub of Margarita mix in the back.
    [​IMG]

Out of Elgin, I hit Hwy 204 to Weston. This was one great section. There was still snow off the side of the road. Once in Weston I took Hwy 11 into Washington. I decided on Hwy 12 out of Walla Walla and head for Pasco. I stopped in Richland to fuel up and figure out the last leg. I pick Hwy 240 to Vantage which turned out to be a mistake.

I’m getting close to Rocky Reach Dam and the wind just came out of nowhere. I’m heading north with 30-40+ mph wind gusts hitting me on the port side. I had the bike leaned at about 10 degrees to keep it on the road. Nothing like getting a pucker factor of 9 while beginning to get tired of the days ride. I get to the I-90 junction and can barely keep the VFR in its own lane. Thanks to those cagers who were behind and beside me who noticed this. They gave me a wide berth.

Needless to say, it was time to stop at the park in Vantage for a little break and figure out what the hell I was going to do. So close to home, but just couldn’t control the bike in those conditions. I break out the map and realize that the old Vantage Hwy runs from there to Ellensburg. So I take this, again no traffic and I’m relieved. It was a nice easy pace so I could keep it on the road. I get to Ellensburg and things are even worse. I stopped at a diner, put my bike on it's side stand and a gust of wind started to blow it over. I caught it just in time. So no stopping there. Again, fortunately there is old Hwy 10 to Cle Elum. Needless to say, this is adding time to weary traveler’s already sore wrists. I have never ridden Hwy 10 before, but I will again. It parallels the Yakima River (I think) the whole way. It was one of the coolest roads I have ever been on in Washington.

In Roslyn, I stop for dinner at the Brick. I head out about 7:30 and make my way to I-90 to finish off my adventure. It was one hell of a blast and glad I did it. Day 3 = 543 Miles 3 Day total = 1410 Miles

My route is on the Google link below. Minus the secret road of course. I could tell you, but RVFR or Oly12 might put out a contract on me.

from:I-405 S @47.671480, -122.186970 to:S Forks Ave @47.941950, -124.385540 to:Leif Erickson Dr/US-30 @46.192670, -123.805890 to:OR-216/US-197 @45.187844, -121.123500 to:US-97 @45.003526, -120.758978 to:OR-218/Shaniko-Fossil Hwy/Washington St @44.993

2. Mike13

Mike13 New Member

Map
    AWESOME!!!!!! SIMPLY AWESOME!!!!!! I am not sure there is anything else to say other then I am jealous!!!

3. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

speechless. I hope I can once do something like that.

4. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

what devices do you have on the handlebar?
    I assume one is a GPS, is the other Sat. radio?
    Just curious.

5. heymike

heymike New Member

United States
    Map
    My GPS is on the right side and I have a Chatterbox on the left, which I use for my Ipod when riding solo. The sound quality isn't the greatest, but I can still hear what's going on around me.

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Wow, That is awesome pictures (Scenery)you got there. Can you camp out anywhere you want on your trip? Not here in Ca.......Thanks for sharing

7. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    WOW!! Very nice pictures!! They are stunning!! Thank you for sharing the pictures. I almost want to fly up there just to ride that route!