A little Mt St. Helens preview ride

Discussion in 'USA - Pacific Northwest' started by Hootch, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Hootch

Hootch New Member

United States
    Map
    Beautiful day today in Vancouver, WA and surrounding area...near 70. Went out for a nice little ride from Vancouver to Battle Ground to Amboy to Yale to Cougar to Swift Creek Reservoir, then down Wind River Road to Carson and finally HWY 14 back to Vancouver. Here's a quick map:

Battle Ground, Washington - Google Maps

It was absolutely a stunning ride. Bikes everywhere on the way...not too many in the mountains. Not too many pictures because for a lot of the ride there was no place to pull over due to there being snow on the sides of the road...deep snow that at some points still covered half the lane. But...the raod was open the entire way and clear...not even very wet...only is a few places. I think this is one of the roads they are planning for the 2009 St. Helens Ride. I went in a clockwise direction.

The biggest surprise of the day...I had stopped to snap a picture and was packing things back into the bags and I look up and a '85/'86 1000R goes by...I just about crapped. He didn't stop and I was heading in the other direction. Anybody here out by Swift Creek Reservoir today?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ken98043

ken98043 New Member

Nice pics. My bike is in the shop so I did not get to ride on this nice day.

3. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    thanks for sharing. glad you had fun there.

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    SWEET!.... Wow that's some snow there, how was old man pass? maybe even more? that's quite the difference in what I see. always wanted to have it where it would work out to ride that road like you did today, one can only wonder what FS25 looks like. Thanks for posting this up.

5. Hootch

Hootch New Member

United States
    Map
    The picture of St. Helens was either right before or right after Old Man Pass...people were sledding there when I went by. There was a bit more snow there. There was a sign that FS25 was still closed with snow.

6. kingsley

kingsley New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks for the info...nothing like local knowledge. We are trying to get the ball rolling again on this ride. First attempt date is June 12-14. I am going to work on a new route and post it in the main thread soon. PLEASE feel free to pick it apart. Hope to meet and ride with you guys when we come down there!

Cheers,

Bryan

7. daddio4u2

daddio4u2 New Member

I was there 3 weeks ago to mt rainier,for the free last weekend special,and was at the summit,that was a good ride around 300 miles.

8. Bill C.-sbio

Bill C.-sbio New Member

United States
    So I see this is an old (last year's) thread.

Now that it's almost July and a year later, is there anything else, more recent on riding up to Mt. St. Helens?

Just curious, been thinking about doing it and suddenly the weather's taken a turn for the better.