A Few New Mods...

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Aced It, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    I've been really busy lately with other people's bikes and finally got to a few things I've been waiting to do on my VFR.

I installed my new tires, Metzeler Roadtec 01's. So far, love them! I use Ride-On tire sealant and hydrodynamic balancer in all of my bikes. Great stuff!

She really needed to have the brakes and clutch lines completely flushed and bled. What I found was pure nastiness! Obviously hasn't been bled since new, or at least that's my opinion. As most know, bleeding the linked brakes is quite a process but I was able to do it all by myself without a helper and without a vacuum bleeder. Let's just say there was a lot of contorting, using my full armed wingspan, a block of wood to hold the front secondary master, and a small screwdriver used to keep the rear brake pedal down after pumping. Brakes and clutch are simply beautiful now.

Next, I had ordered an OEM passenger seat cowl out of England which was freshly painted matching my paint code. $80 shipped, what a deal! Looks awesome; I love it. I also got the handle deletes (also painted) from some place in New Jersey. And of course, removed the pegs/brackets. I never ride 2-up, so this was almost a necessity, LOL!

Then, I was lucky enough to find a set of Helibars on Ebay from a salvage yard a few hundred miles from me in central Florida. They also had the bar-end weights already in them, so I scooped them for $150. When they arrived I noticed one side was really bent. There was no mention of this in the ad, and the pictures did not convey this in an obvious manner. I contacted the seller who I've bought from before and they are working out a partial refund. After some manipulating, I was able to get them bent back into shape without affecting their structural integrity. Love the feel so far, but it's been so rainy I haven't had but a few minutes of test riding with them.

Lastly, I installed a Power Commander. This is something I've been wanting to do since I got the bike last year. The company I bought from pre-programmed it according to my mods (Delkevic cat-back, K&N air filter). Holy shiit, what a difference! The idle is much smoother, the 5400rpm where VTEC kicks in has been bumped up to around 6400 which is much better for city riding (for me anyway) and the throttle response envies that of an Indy car! THIS was a worthwhile investment.

20201002_162522.jpg 20201002_162535.jpg 20201003_142351.jpg 20201003_142421.jpg 20201003_162439.jpg 20201003_175745.jpg 20200926_125912.jpg
    20200821_180038_HDR.jpg
    20200821_183108.jpg

2. wiremanjon

wiremanjon New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice, making it yours. Mirror extenders are pretty good to have as well. Beats the shoulder view. Think about fitting a voltmeter to keep tabs on what your stator and rectifier are doing as well. Good luck with her.

mello dude and Aced It like this.
  3. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    Voltmeter is there in the dash pic; lower left inside the fairing. I also previously upgraded the R/R to the Roadstercycle Mosfet unit back in February. Stator checks out so I held off for now. I like the idea of the mirror extenders; I do have a rear camera that gives me a heads-up view on the monitor in that same pic, but every bit helps. :) Other things I've done are the timing chains, replaced the tensioners with manual ones, oil chain (since I was in there already), new fast idle wax unit, new vacuum hoses, swapped the cheap after market lowrise dark tint windscreen for a nice Puig light smoked one, etc. Fun fun!

wiremanjon likes this.
  4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    You forgot DMr suspension upgrades.
    HUGE DIFFERENCE
    Can’t stress enough how it changed my bikes handling.
    Also Darryl here found me a abs rear shock for my non- abs 02 on eBay that Jamie reworked.

http://daughertymotorsports.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Camp

Camp New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice bike, the obsession, right?

Aced It likes this.
  6. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    Obsession? You have no idea. :)

Latest mod: Delkevic stainless steel headers.

I've read others having installation problems, but if you install everything loosely first and then go back and tighten everything down you shouldn't have any problems. Oh wait, it even says that in their simple instructions on-line! It's really common sense. I did use a bit of high-temp gasket compound down at the collector where the down-pipes tap into. The system comes with everything you need. My final install is sealed and looks great. Now, the sound is superior! I have the Delkevic 8" carbon mufflers (without baffles in) already installed and the elimination of the catalytic converter just opens the system with regard to musical sweetness. I tried both baffles in and out and for now have left them out. I don't hear a huge difference either way. It's loud, but not annoying (to me). I have no plans for dyno testing, so don't mumble on about lbft and hp losses/gains, etc ... I don't care. It's not a race bike, although I tend to get on it every now and then ... don't we all? I just enjoy the ride and I do love that VFR hot-rod sound so much! Lastly, I worked on getting a re-tuned map from Dynojet for the PC-V and it's quite spot on!

Next up is the Dynojet Quickshifter (4-116)!

Pics of the install, PC-V idle set vid and a couple low-speed drive bys (nothing crazy, I'm in my suburb, but the downshifts are nice):

Vids first:

Pics now:
    (pardon the grime under the bike, lol)

20201023_091717.jpg
    20201023_090616.jpg 20201023_090701.jpg 20201023_090710.jpg 20201023_090737.jpg 20201023_091406.jpg 20201023_091422.jpg 20201023_101134.jpg 20201023_101145.jpg

7. Camp

Camp New Member

United States
    Map
    Our bikes are very similar in parts builds. My Delkevic header goes on in the spring as it's getting colder and the after market fairings get easier to break. Besides, I won't be hme again till Xmas then in March. Gives me something to "obsess" about till then.

8. Camp

Camp New Member

United States
    Map
    Btw, are you using a 1 or 2 O2 sensor PCV?

9. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    2 sensors.

10. Camp

Camp New Member

United States
    Map
    Hmm, your PCV is the Vtwin unit? When I bought mine specifically for the VFR I got a 1 sensor unit. Now that I have the Delkevic header to put in I may have to reassess the PCV I'm using. Glad I looked close at your pics, thanks!

11. Sandalwood

Sandalwood New Member

United States
    Map
    I really like that exhaust. I think that will be in my future. Thank you for the videos!

I have resisted Heli bars for many years, but as I age I value not having to engage my core as much through longer rides. They will likely end up on my bike as well.