A British Motorcycle That Doesn't Leak Oil

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by namaishi, Mar 15, 2009.

1. namaishi

namaishi New Member

Map
    Has anyone seen this article in Wired? I like the idea of an electric bike assuming they could get the speed, acceleration, range, and price within reasonable levels. The bike also looks pretty cool, but I'm looking for something much more comfortable and I'm not sure it's HeliBar friendly. I would also miss the growl of a V4 which would be impossible to replicate on an electric bike. These are definitely fun to see at bike shows as concepts, but I think we're a long way from actually seeing these in production.

0-60 MPH: 3.8 seconds (Still got it beat on a VFR!)
    Top Speed: 135-150 (Still got it beat on a VFR!)
    Range: 150 miles (Great for commuting, but not for any real travel)
    Weight: 374 lb. (Nice and light.)

A British Motorcycle That Doesn't Leak Oil | Autopia from Wired.com

[​IMG]

By the way, I found this on Gizmodo first with the snarky and untrue title "EV-o RR Electric Motorcycle Can Kick Your Gas Guzzler's Butt".
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5170102/ev+o-rr-electric-motorcycle-can-kick-your-gas-guzzlers-butt

2. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Very interesting. I'll have to chew on this for awhile. Looking forward to reading others' opinions, too.

3. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    It looks like the lip where the fairings come together on top will tear your junk in twain in a fast slow-down. NO THANKY.

The pro of the electric moto is the constant torque. There is supposedly no curve. The torque is on or off. The biggest con so far has been the range.

4. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Wow that looks cool! Like drewl is saying the only drawback I see is the range. I wonder how hard it'd be to make a hybrid motorcycle that just uses a gas engine to generate power for the motor?

5. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    The hybrids have weight as the biggest issue.

6. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

I've always liked the concept of a dual single-sided swingarm motorcycle,both from a design and maintenance standpoint. They just plain look cool too! The stubby tailsection reminds me of the current Moto GP bikes. Aside from their low cruising range I guess my biggest turn-off with electric motored vehicles is that there's no aural sensation,not to mention their long battery recharging time. Part of the reason I like riding my bikes is that I like to listen to the sounds they make while I'm riding them. There's something very comforting and reassuring in listening to the motor humming along and going about its' business. I agree with you Namaishi,you'll never get that V4 growl from an electric motor. And that's a shame,because Drewl's right about the torque. It's definitely a good looking design,and a neat idea,but they've got a long way to go to make it a viable long distance everyday means of transportation to compete with or replace the existing machinery that's out there now.

7. STEVE MANKIN

STEVE MANKIN New Member

Map
    what he said.........and bet it looks like a box with the fairing off..nice ..but no thanks....wish we could get over this eco green malarkey...its going to cost us big money. what a hoax..

8. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    I hear you! The greatest hoax ever perpetrated on human kind. I guess man's arrogance has no bounds. But I like the electric bike, just not for the overused and blindly accepted "green" aspect of it.

9. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I think any battery bike should come with a programmable sound system with clips of multiple gas bikes that can be revved and "runs" while riding.