98 VFR 5th Gen - Stored for 12 yrs - Need some advice

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Ken72, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Ken72

Ken72 New Member

United States
    Hi all,
    so recently my neighbor put it in my head to start riding again. So I pull out the VFR with 61k miles. She wasn't prepped properly for long term storage - I had a lot going on back then...&...oh well...

I'm not a mechanic, just a tinkerer, but I did manage to get her started, and she starts right up...after the following work: new battery, replaced regulator/rectifier, replaced thermostat, professionally cleaned the injectors, new spark plugs, changed oil & filter, removed rust from gas tank interior, replaced fuel pump/filter assembly. Needless to say, it wasn't cheap.

As I stated, she starts right up. However, she blows white smoke after warmed up and the exhaust has a small oil leak dripping from the muffler. So, I guess I'm just asking you guys how much more trouble am I getting myself into if I continue? Maybe just part out the bike and recoup? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    some white vapor from the exhaust is normal on a long-stored bike, but it should disappear by the time engine reaches operating temp. exhaust has a small hole to dump rainwater and condensation.

check that oil doesn't have a milky white appearance. maybe do a compression test ?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Is it blowing white smoke after warm up?

As in can you take it for at least a 30minute ride - no stopping & at all speeds?
    You really will need the whole bike to get good and warm so as to be able to burn off any moisture & condensation.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    mello dude likes this.
  4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    What you see as an oil leak from the exhaust may be condensation dripping out, but it looks like oil
    because it's black. It's black because it's mixed with the carbon from the inside of the exhaust pipe.
    Check closely to make sure it's actually oil, and not water.

A little white smoke shouldn't be an issue, unless it continues to show up every time the bike is started.
    And/or continues even when the bike is run for 15-20 minutes.

5. Ken72

Ken72 New Member

United States
    thinking back at the sequence of events, im disheartened with the outcome of this project. i did get the bike to operating temps to about 180F. at first start up, she did expel a fair amount of condensation. but that passed and so i thought i would ride her around the parking lot a bit to lube up everything. i wasn't planning to push her hard because the chain was bone dry (have new 1 coming, planning to replace.) but the clutch wouldn't engage into neutral for a while so i brought her back. no smoke visible at this time. i rested her for about an hour when i started her again. i revved her to about 3-4k rpm when the white smoke began - and there were some white smoke being expelled at the engine compartment also, towards the front. pretty sure its a sign of the front side head gasket going out. it is constant and heavy now.

the oil coming out of the muffler is pretty thick, and its reddish - i used mystery magic oil (a red oil) to lube the internals through the plug holes before i turned her, and then added some to the oil during the oil change. im gonna go out and get the compression tool today and check for compression #s. though im fair with the tools, im not a gear head, and head gasket is just too big a job for me to do. i'll post my observations and do and would appreciate your inputs.

thank you all

6. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Sadly I suspect you are correct.

7. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Are you smelling coolant? Before declaring the head gasket gone, I'd pull plastic and look for leaky coolant hose, loose clamp, the simple stuff. Warm it up with the plastic off to see if anything obvious.
    As well, you've only run it a little... go for a longer shakedown ride, full operating temperatures and clear out whatever oil/condensation.

8. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Tho I agree everything observed does not sound promising...

I think this bike needs a MINIMUM 30 minute, no stopping, full operating temp ride. After that, then re-evaluate.

9. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    The 5th gen engine is based on the rc45 racer engine so is pretty robust and head gasket failure are rare on them. Not to say yours hasnt gone but you'll either loose coolant into the combustion chambers so will empty the expansion tank,or introduce oil into the coolant which will be a milky white froth ( think latte coffee )in the oil level window. You really need to top off the coolant and oil and ride it for minimum of 30 minutes then see where the levels are .
    Stuck oil controll ring would let oil into the combustion chamber and produce white smoke.
    Good luck and report your findings

10. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Oh & once warm, you will NEED to use all the RPM range.. Once warm do not baby it.
    When coolant is in the exhaust you can sometimes smell it.

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    be sure to check under the radiator cap and in the overflow bottle for coolant loss or milky white scum.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  12. Simon Edwards

Simon Edwards New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Also need to check inside the oil filler cap for any oily micture that looks similar to mayonaise. That'll be coolant entering the engine casing. Usually either via a cracked head or a blown head gasket. If you could see inside the rocker covers it would be there too.

The check for "mayonaise" in the rad cap is for oil getting into the cooling system. This doesn't happen as often as the casing should be at lower pressure compared to the coolant in its jacket when its up to temperature - unless the crankcase breathers are blocked.

Be sure to check the obvious too: Do you have a porous coolant filled hose dribbling or squirting coolant onto the block from outside. It may look fine when cold and only be porous when its hot! Don't forget the hoses above the block in between the banks of cylinders.

As for the oily mix in the exhaust, as others have said that should boil/burn off eventually. When you first fire it up some will be burnt off alonside the fuel. But it won't all get burnt completely in the cylinders. Some will evaporate and go with the hot gasses and then get stuck to the baffles as it cools. This coating will eventually evaporate away or dribble out alongside the condensation from the drain hole. Mine had about 10-12hours running before the oily smell from the pipe died away after a 10 year re-start. Like you I used oil dribbles into the cylinders when I went to spin it up first time around. It made an impressive smoke screen on that initial start too.

One other thing to check is whether it could be oily substances burning off the outer casing and exhaust headers. At one point soon after that initial start I thought mine was on fire due to it boiling off penetrating oils that had dropped onto the the casings and header pipes. There was a lot of white/grey smoke. The collector also held a lot of oil in the rust layer which created more after that heated up. A good degreasing session cured all of it.

Someone else asked about the smell. You'll know if its oil or coolant boiling off from that alone. Although unless you have previously smelt the two you may not be able to identify which is which.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  13. Ken72

Ken72 New Member

United States
    Hi all,
    I got a bottle of Blue Devil & did a quick fix via the radiator route. White smoke is no longer a problem. It’s a temporary fix, but it’s good enough for now. It’ll give me some time to look for a good used engine for her. I’ve looked at some on eBay but it’s tricky to get it there cuz I can’t inspect it. Exhaust no longer dripping oil, replaced the chain, & drained/refilled the clutch so she shifts nicely now. Just got it all done today so I’ve not a chance to ride her yet. I can’t wait.
    Thanks all

schrocketeer and Keager like this.
  14. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Did you do the compression test?