97 vfr

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by landlover, Aug 10, 2007.

1. landlover

landlover New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi, I am a new rider and I know this question has been asked before but here goes. I am 36 years old and there is a 97 vfr for sale. Is it to much bike for a beginner? I am going to re-take the MSF beginner course, I have my motorcycle endorsement, but I took the MSF course a year ago so I want a refresher.

Also is a 97 gear driven cams? I like the sound of gear driven cams. It's on e-bay thats why I am asking.

Thank You
    Damon

2. roadkill

roadkill New Member

Well, it is very difficult to answer your question without knowing what you do or do not know about motorcycles. I have a '97 VFR and find it to be a very gentle and predictable machine and very forgiving. It is a very easy bike for me to tool around on but as a beginner's bike? No one can answer that question for you but seeing as how you are 36 and not 19, I believe that you can handle it without much difficulty. And, yes, the '97 has gear driven cams and not the dreaded and annoying VTEC. Hope this helps.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ What he said, not sure I'd call it a beginner bike either, but a damn nice bike overall, guess ya gota start some where thats not a bad way to get off on the right step.

4. John O'Leary

John O'Leary Guest

Erm, think that's going a bit far if you ask me. Nothing wrong with the VTEC, Had one for over 5 yrs and never had a problem with it. So you get a kick at 7000, its part of the package and not exactly difficult to get used to.

Back to the thread. As a first bike the 750 will be fine. You're not a teenager as already pointed out, you're taking some extra lessons to get back into the spirit so you're doing all the right things. The thing to remember is the bike will only do what you make it do, it's all in the twist of the throttle.