97 Fairing

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by mark smith, Apr 3, 2022.

1. mark smith

mark smith New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi, sadly I got knocked off my VFR on Saturday, am trying to source some fairing parts, but not having much luck, am after the top complete panel and the left front side panel, hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction, am based in Essex in the UK

Attached Files:

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Mark and welcome to the MadHouse

That is a rather sorry sight for a first forum post.

I do not want to rain on your parade but I think it is time to think about this in the cold light of day. Does it make sense to try and repair a 20+ year old bike - even if mechanically it is OK? You may be better off just tracking down a replacement VFR.

It is worth stressing that you are very unlikely to be able to find all the parts needed to get the bike to an "as before" condition even if money was no object.

Indeed I fear that if the damage goes through insurance, they will almost certainly write off the bike because even if you can find genuine replacement parts and get them painted to match, that work alone will cost a lot more than its residual value (assuming it is not a truly historic bike with a history of TT wins etc).

The colour of your VFR does not help as it is quite rare, so you are more likely to win the lottery than find serviceable colour matched second hand panels for your 97. A long while back Honda dealerships cleared their shelves of most non-service residual parts for 3rd Generation VFRs. A lot ended up with David Silver Spares (UK and USA) and also CMSNL so if you are feeling lucky it might be worth checking their website inventory.

However you are not the first to face this dilemna and I suspect that if there was a hidden stash of OEM VFR fairings out there somewhere, then by now at least one of the folks on here would have mentioned it in response to similar enquiries.

So you need to consider second hand parts. You may eventually get lucky and find someone listing suitable parts on the usual websites (ebay, gumtree, craigslist). Alternatively you may have more luck by calling/emailing motorcycle breakers yards but remember most of their stock has already visited the wrong side of a hedge so even used parts may still need a fair bit of attention.

In short before spending much time on this, you should check out what equivalent used bikes are going for on the likes of Bike Trader and eBay, as that approach will probably get you safely back on the road with a similar VFR750 a lot faster than trying to repair the damage to your current bike.

Good Luck

SkiMad

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    sorry for your crash but best to plan on fixing whacha got cuz good used parts are few and rare.

4. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    I spent years finding pearl white 93 fairings. one day i found a bunch on ebay. the guy said he bought a lot of vfr parts and mustang parts. His prices were good and i bought a bunch of it. Two years ago a lady rear ended me at a stop. Bike went down easy on the right side. Lucky me i had spares. Parts are out there. It just takes a long time to find them. I will never give up my 93 vfr.

Thumbs likes this.
  5. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022