94-97 Shock Disassemble Anyone ?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Scott_Lilliott, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Scott_Lilliott

Scott_Lilliott New Member

United States
    Map
    Wondering if anyone has disassembled a shock from
    A 94-97 model, The manual says 'do not...' If you have please contact me as to how the spring is removed.
    TIA,
    Scott

2. SprintCarCowboy

SprintCarCowboy New Member

There is a place in England that rebuilds the shocks so there must be a way. I am looking into rebuilding my shock or buying a replacement.

Has anyone tried a Works Performance shock on the 94-97 bikes? If so, what is your opinion of them?

Joe

3. afterburn

afterburn New Member

Map
    Dunno about works, but have a HyperPro racing shock and it ROCKS. Preload, rebound, highspeed & lowspeed compression. This thing can be tweaked to whatever you prefer.

4. Scott_Lilliott

United States
    Map
    Thanks to all who viewed and or replied. The shock spring disassembles via compressing the preload adjuster with a slotted tube, sized to fit over/around the adjuster crown and adjuster spindle. When it's compressed approx. 1+", a circlip is revealed and can be popped up and off which holds the aduster in place.
    We then installed a HyperPro spring. The owner loves it! Yes Afterburn, I'd love to have a Hyperpro shock but this was done to keep costs low. I may get a Hyperpro for my 800 (when I can afford it).

5. afterburn

afterburn New Member

Map
    Scott, just the spring already gives a huge improvement. I had one too. Improvement was so big, and price so relatively low (compared to a new shock), it was hard to believe.

6. Scott_Lilliott

United States
    Map
    Afterburn, I did install Hyperpro Springs in my 800 back in March and I've been amazed at the difference! I recommended the springs to my friends as well. One will be putting a set on his XX.
    Scott

7. SprintCarCowboy

SprintCarCowboy New Member

I have spoken to www.race-tech.com and they told me that they can rebuild the stock shock by putting a needle type Nitrogen fill fitting in the shock body. I am dropping off my shock tomorrow so I will give an update when I get it back.

Joe

8. jpete24

jpete24 New Member

Say...not to get off subject but are Fox rear shocks good, average, top of the line, or what? I just bought my VFR and it had a Fox shock put on it about 1000 miles ago....opinions?

9. Scott_Lilliott

United States
    Map
    The Fox shock (Twin-Clicker I assume) is a very good shock, tuneable, rebuildable. Now that high-end shocks are getting low and high speed compression damping, the Fox is not in the same league as the Penske or Hyperpro, but it's well above avg. (IMO)
    I had one on my '91 VFR, huge improvement. Look to rebuild it after 20-30K miles. Most good suspension houses can do it, e.g. Computrack etc.
    Scott

10. Guest

Guest Guest

:)I just had my 95 VFR stock rear shock rebuilt. It is just a Showa shock, rebuild included teardown and setup, shock seal kit, schraeder valve, and nitrogen and oil. Complete w/ Cdn. taxes was $195.00 Cdn. Compare that with even the cheapest aftermarket shock, and now my stocker is rebuildable. The shop is RMR Suspensions located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Good place, knowledgeable staff. Website at:
    www.rmrsuspensions.com

11. bruhaba

bruhaba New Member

anybody have pics of a stock rebuilt shock

I have an extra shock and I'm trying to rebuild it myself and experiment with. If anyone has a picture of where the schrader valve was put, I would appreciate it.

Any additional input on disassembling the shock would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

12. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Was going to do the rebuild on mine but when I found the WP shock I have, at a price that was just to hard to turn down, went that way. Check out the thread on my install. Yes Race tech and a few other can sorta rebuild the stock shock, basically as noted a spring change and new fluids is all that can be done and for close to $300. The stock shock isn't built for any remote adjustment to be added, at least the 4thg isn't, so that was another reason I went the way I did. Love what I have, now if only the good weather would hurry up and get here.

13. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    You need to weld it to the shock body somewhere in the tapered area just below the upper mount. I don't have a shock around here like this or else I would post a picture of it. Hopefully this helps.

Jamie