93 VFR750: No spark

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by OSA 06, Jun 17, 2011.

1. OSA 06

OSA 06 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm new to the bike scene, but have been turning wrenches professionally for more than 10 years. This bike was wrecked, and a rebuild started by the previous owner, before I bought it. I had the bike running after I installed a radiator and it was only running on 3 cylinders due to the carbs being varnished. That was the last time I was able to get it running, finding that I had no spark. Since then, I've checked all the ignition components, switches, etc and have installed a new wiring harness because the old one had been butchered and bought a used CDI. Same problem still persist. I have read alot of threads on this same problem, and the threads fall out without a repair being posted. Anyone who has anything that may help, I'm all ears!! So ready to be riding... Thanks All !!!!

2. rogersj3

rogersj3 New Member

United States
    Map
    Clean the carbs and do a bench synch. Then clean them again. One more time. They may actually be clean at this point. New plugs? Check. Battery fully charged? Check. Idle adjustment screws turned to 2 1/2 turns out? Check. Fuel tank has good fuel in it, petcock "clicks" into the open position, no fuel lines kinked, fuel pumped tested good? Check. All fuses in good working order? Check.

You've introduced a crapton of variables with the new harness and CDI (plus whatever else was done that you aren't aware of). If the above triple checks don't get you going (that's what it took for my '91), it'll be time to bust out the multimeter.

3. OSA 06

OSA 06 New Member

United States
    Map
    I bought a set of rebuilt carbs for it after I found the old ones to be severely stopped up. Pulled one of the rebuilds apart to check the quality, and it was CLEAN. Fuel is definitely not the problem, as I can jump the fuel pump and it fills the carb bowls and blows fuel out the spark plug hole if you crank it with a plug out. As far as the changes with the wiring harness and CDI, they were changed at different times, and the problem occurred with the original harness and CDI on the bike. I've wore my multimeter out going through all the service manual component checks and flow charts, which is what lead me to believe the CDI was the issue. The only real new lead that I've come up with so far is that my pulse generators both show resistances of 305.6. In the Honda service manual, one section shows the specs to be 450-550 ohms and another section shows 200-400 ohms, with both specs being at 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Any input on the two different specs I found in the Honda manual??

4. betarace

betarace New Member

Sounds like coils or CDI to me. Don't have the manual in front of me but could also be one of: on/off safety switch, kickstand switch, clutch enagement switch. Nb: the bike will crank but not fire if the on/off switch is off. All the other safety's are in the same circuit