929 shock swap

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Darth Vader, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I'm after your thoughts, I've swapped out the stock shock for a 929 white spring one and used a 120 m10 bolt and have made up the 42 mm with about 25 washers. Is this safe ? Should I get a proper spacer out of some aluminium billet ?

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Send an email to Jamie Daugerty at Daughterty Motorsports. He modifies a lot of these shocks for the VFR and may even have an adapter for sale. I know a lot of people just use washers or shims but if you're not sure, I think Jamie might be a good resource to ask and or get a proper spacer.

Jamie is also a member here and you can PM him if you like but he seems to check his email more often. Jamie@daughertymotorsports.com

Cheers

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    I've queried Jamie on this in the past, and he does not sell adaptors for 929 shocks. I bought one of his modified shocks and he machines the shock eye to accept a custom made adaptor that locks in place and can't rotate, which makes for a super-strong connection. He also fits a rider-specific spring and revalves the shock, so I would regard his product as good value.

He has posted that in his view (and I'm paraphrasing from memory) using spacers or other method to move the top mounting clevis downwards could exert a torque on the upper chassis member which it is not designed to take. In my view (and I'm not a mechanical engineer) the load on a shock should always be end-on (and so not exerting a twisting force) so I can't see there's much risk in this.