91 VFR750 gauge issues

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by John carnahan, Nov 4, 2018.

1. John carnahan

John carnahan New Member

United States
    Map
    I've now put over 1000 miles on my new $350 VFR750(initial price). It now runs fine but not quite everything works. The following don't work. Fuel gauge, Temp. gauge, neutral light, kick stand light* and front brake light. I suspect the front brake light is unrelated to the others?

I plan to run down all of them but my question is, Could any of them be related? Like maybe a common connector? Or should I try to run them down one at a time?

Of coarse first priority is the front brake light. I confess I don't always use the rear brake but now always do since finding that the front brake light doesn't work. Fixing it is a must.

*BTW, the kick stand switch killing the engine does work only the light doesn't

Frankly the inop. fuel and temp gauges don't bother me as my SV doesn't have them and the no neutral light isn't a big deal.

OTOH I don't really need two bikes and may sell the VFR since it's worth more than the old high millage SV650 and I've discovered that while I like the added zip of the VFR at 72 I can no longer effectively use it.... If I do decide to sell the VFR I'd like everything working.

Thanks,

Jack

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    test front brake switch by touching the 2 switch wires together with key on. check fuses and bulbs. o_O

one fuse controls many indicator lights.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  3. John carnahan

John carnahan New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks. Jack

4. John carnahan

John carnahan New Member

United States
    Map
    Finally got back to it. Fuses ok. Front brake light switch was bad. I popped it apart and messed with it for way too long. It would work and quit. Ordered a new one. Need to run them down one at a time. Next is oil pressure.......

Later, Jack

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    read FSM for gauge testing procedure.