86 vs 87 VFR750/700 exhaust downpipes.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by keny, Jan 28, 2008.

1. keny

keny New Member

Finland
    I wounder if there is a diffrense betwen 1986 vfr750/700 exhaust downpipes compared 1987 models. The reason I ask is I got a Micron 4 to 1 system as birthday present, and its listed for 85-86 VFR750F and use stock downpipes. The problem is thet right side front downpipe dont go in all way, to come against the back downpipe before. I hav loosen all downpipes and tried but no luck. The problem is its to far rear and the point where the silenser attach rub the swingarm just a littel. I also had to file of 4 mm from the engineblock (where oil taper bolt is) to get the hearer go free from the engine on the left side. Anyone know?

2. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    An 85' would be a VF not a VFR exhaust is definetly different, unless its a euro only thing??? 86' & 87' should be identicle.

3. keny

keny New Member

Finland
    Here a pic of the problem, as you se on the right side of pic, the pipes touch and dont allow the upper pipe to go full in.

[​IMG]

Heres how the pipe other looks mounted.
    [​IMG]

4. Iceman_JD

Iceman_JD New Member

Map
    Just looked at my stock pipes on my 86 VFR 750 and there is a definite offset where the headers connect to the rear pipes which looks normal. I would say as long as there are no leaks and the header is in enough for the clamp, you should be O.K. If not maybe you can tweek it with a soft mallot to drive it in a littler further.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    looks like it will work fine.

6. Tedric

Tedric New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Got VFR 750 FG & exhaust fitting (Motad to original stainless downpipes)is exactly the same as your photo, does not leak and never had a problem.

Cheers mate

7. keny

keny New Member

Finland
    Thanks, the main problem is that the pipe is too far back now, and its aiso touching the swingarm! Both the rear downpipes and the right side downpipes (as shown in the pic) are touching each other, and I dont think its nice.

8. Tedric

Tedric New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Keny, a friend of mine as the same micron system as yourself & the silencer touched the swinging arm. Upon further investigation we realised the after market Rear shock (Hagon) was approx 10 mm longer than the OE shock causing this problem. Now Hagon list this particular shock to fit Models FG,FH,FJ & FK. true to a point but after 1987 the stock shock was increased in length and this is the size they produce.
    If you want to keep the exhaust, check your shock length and if necessary get another shock as per original spec. He had a company called Revs racing (UK) provide him with a Wilbers shock exactly same length as per original for £240.00 and sold is Hagon Shock on Ebay for £180.00. problem solved.
    Hope this helps
    Need any more info shout.
    Cheers

9. Jimtt

Jimtt New Member

Map
    1985 is the last of the VF700s there was no VF750 in '85, in 86 Honda introduced the VFR700 and VFR750. It is very strange that Micron would list the pipe as fitting an 85 & and an 86 as they are differnt bikes. The 86 and 87 VF700 however are the same and there is no difference in the 86 and 87 exhaust systems.

10. keny

keny New Member

Finland
    Thanks for the info.
    Well, I think its strange, becorse my oem shock was 3mm longer than my current Hagon is, and I would like to get my rear ride height even a bit higher!
    This exhaust is then deffenly NOT for thous doing a 17" rear wheel convension... :frown:
    Also I was on local motoshow last week, and the Wilbers is now awable in my country also! :smile: I was suprised you can get the fully adjustable model (reb. + 2 speed comp.) for the old VFR :eek: And also get 10mm hight adjustments for it as optional! :biggrin:
    Anyone want to buy my nearly new (~10000km used) Hagon whit hydraulic preload adjuster?

11. Tedric

Tedric New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Jimtt, good point. However the Micron factory is approx 5 miles from me and my mate purchase this exhaust about 2 years ago. He knows one of the owners and got it relatively cheap. The specs are for a 85/86 vfr 750 FG, bear in mind that this model was sold in the UK late 85 onwards, my FG for example was registered 17/12/85. As you say quite rightly the exhaust for the 86 and 87 are the same.
    Cheers

12. Jimtt

Jimtt New Member

Map
    Tedric, OK that makes sense; in the states we did not have a 750 in '85. JIM