'86 VFR FORKS

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Guest, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME OUT WITH THE DIAMETER OF THE FORKS ON AN '86 700. I USED THEM FOR A PROJECT AND I'M NOT SURE OF THE EXACT SIZE. I NEED TO BUY A STEERING DAMPER MOUNT.

OR----> DOES ANYONE HAVE A MOUNT THAT WILL FIT THESE FORKS FOR SALE. EMAIL ME TACOMATRD61@AOL.COM.

THANKS-JAKE

2. Guest

Guest Guest

the dismeter of those spindly tubes is a mere 36mm. i know because i tried every mod known to improve them before i chucked em an put on a whole new fnt end!!!

3. waldrm

waldrm New Member

I'm going to disagree with Jim and say 37mm is the size; I will agree however that the best use for this front end is closing a storm door. Trick mod is to install an F2 or F3 front end and wheel. Better handling, better brakes, and a good assortment of 17" tires. Add an F2 rear wheel and brake swetup and VFR800 shock and your vintage racer will now hang with the big dogs! I have the parts and instructions if you are interested.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Waldrm, I am interested in those instructions for doing the changes to the '86 VFR. I may be looking for the hardware as well. I have 2 86 VFR's (one being a parts bike) and a 93 VFR and I have to say that the 86 leaves a bigger grin on my face for how raw it feels.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I would also be interested in finding instructions to upgrade rear setup with cbr f2 wheel. email: 7science@bellsouth.net

6. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Here's a link to the VFR700 suspension mods:

http://www.one-ring.net/vfrfaq/WheelFAQ.htm

Hardest part is changing steering stems; the old stem from your VFR700 must be pressed out and re-used in the F2 clamps to fit the steering head in the frame properly.  Rear wheel spacers may be made or purchased from Cobalt Racing. I have a complete F2 front end including VFR750 clip ons and brakes plus an F2 rear wheel and brake setup available. Whole package for $600.00 if anyone is interested.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

At last check, Chuck Crites of Cobalt Racing was out of business.

I had a set of his F2/VFR rear wheel spacers, and while they worked, they weren't perfect. The chain alignment was slightly off, resulting in some wear on the chain sideplates.

Instead of them being made of aluminum, I'd have preferred stainless steel. Tougher, not prone to marring, and corrosion resistant.

Oh, and the O.D. of the spacers was a bit of a loose fit in the OEM dust seals. The seals didn't fit a nicely as one would hope. Possibly allowing some crud in over time?

8. Guest

Guest Guest

37mm is indeed correct. The F2/F3 forks are 41mm.

It's what Honda should have put on the bike in the first place.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I do not know if Chuck still has an official "business" but he still sells all the fiberglass bodywork and gas tank for the '86-'87 VFR700/750. He sells alot of it on eBay under the seller name "VFRChuck". His email address is: vfrchuck@bright.net
    Email him and he will email you a list of all his bodywork & pricing.

-Ed

10. keny

keny New Member

Finland
    What tire size is recomended after the F2 mody? The standard F2 120/60 , 160/60 ?

11. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Unless the F2 wheels you buy have great tires on them; I would go up to 120/70 front and 160/70 rear. On the rear, 160 is the max and requires the caliper reaction arm to be notched for clearance. F2 (4.5") or F3 (5.0") wheel can be used. F2 front is required to keep the mechanical speedo drive.

12. keny

keny New Member

Finland
    Thanks waldrm.
    Do the reaction arm need to be moved it a 150/70 is used?
    I`m planin to do a frontend and 17" wheel svamp next winter. ::)

Ok, The f2 is one possible, I also red of suzuki gsxr 1100 frontend svamp writen by "maddevil". and also somwhere read of a yzf swamp but not which one.
    Somewhat I like that the rearwheel is bigger than the front, as orginal. So I wonder would a -87-88 fzr1000 18" rearwheel fitt?

Other recomendeisons and experierns would be nice.

13. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Probably not but I would go for the 160 (more tire choices). The reaction arm only has to be notched on one side to clear a 160 and is still adequately strong to do its job.

14. keny

keny New Member

Finland
    Maby where you live 160/70 is more comon but here 150/70 is more comon or 160/60...

15. Lookinfurfun

Lookinfurfun New Member

This is my first post here but have "lurked" for a while.  I've owned my '86 since about '93 and it had 7000 miles on the clock.  For the first 2-3 year she was my daily driver, but the last few years have been more just weekend warrior stuff.  I love the bike.  It runs like a raped ape, but would like to update her a bit.  My plans are to get parts here and there over the winter and be ready to ride come spring time.   I have also been in contact with Chuck Crites from Cobalt.  I guess the point of my post is....what is the deal with running a VFR800 rear shock.  Is it ride height adjustable like the Fox twin clicker? All other conversions seem pretty straight forward, but didn't know that the 800 shock was a direct fit.

Thanks.

BTW....here is a pic [​IMG]

16. keny

keny New Member

Finland
    I`ll wounder the same. Adjustable?

17. draggin

draggin New Member

how about a complete fork and wheel swap for an 85 vf1000r ? ive considered this .. not sure though as i think there are a couple rebuild options available that supposedly make them better . but a wheel swap for an f2 wheel is definitly in the making i believe . i know the bike is god awfull heavy lol . so any opinions would be greatly apprecieated ..