86 VF500F

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by dbuzz77, Jul 8, 2021.

1. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    need some help from you guys please, i got run over on my gen 6 and it's totaled so i am looking at a 86 500 interceptor. It needs tires, battery, seat recovered and it runs. we did a scan of the vin and our insureance says needs an inspection unsafe. the po died and left it to his daughter so they know nothing and the insurance has no info either. we had settled on 2000 until this came up. i don't know whether to give up on it or offer 500 and take on the responsibility of the inspection. what say ye? thanks

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    500 Interceptors aren't for everybody. Do you want to spend way too much time and money on it? If this was going to be a second bike and you always wanted one and always wanted a project then maybe. $500 MAX. The bike you described before needing inspection was $1000 MAX (depending on what it looks like).
    Do you have any pictures?

Don't get me wrong, I love them. But...

You should very likely pass on it. Get something you can ride and find parts for.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Thorinn Oakunsheyld likes this.
  3. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    In Ontario Canada the seller has to provide you a UVIP (Used Vehicle Info Package ) and Ownership. Its the sellers legal obligation to provide these. If the Ownership & UVIP says "Rebuilt" then Run don't walk away. If it says "Unfit" then as Captian 80's says $500 max and you may be in for a pile of work to get it to both pass safety and to deal with what ever else you may/will come across. May want to see if Sask has something similar ?

Rebuilt - means it was the victim of an insurance write-off in the past
    Unfit - means its ownership was transferred to the Current owner without a safety Certificate

In most cases the responsibility of the Safety inspection would be yours anyway (assuming its "Unfit" and not "rebuilt"). My experience (in Ontario) is that 95% of bikes sold are sold AsIs and buyer gets them certified.

Id also note that in Ontario for a bike to be labled "Unfit" it means someone bought it, never safetied it, but transferred ownership in their name anyway. Most of the time when a bike transfers ownership its labled as "Fit" and can only be switched to "Unfit" it ownership is transferred without a safety certificate.

Again, you're in Sask, so practice may vary.

Personally I'd take your Insurance money from the Gen 6 and go find another more recent VFR. The VF500 Interceptor is a far cry from your Gen 6.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Jim McCulloch likes this.
  4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    on this forum the VF500 has more reported problems than any other model, and many new owners never got them running right, and new parts are mostly unavailable.

you've been warned. sept 13 2020 002.JPG

Jim McCulloch likes this.
  5. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Never have better words been spoken.