86 Mirror problem solved

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by heymike, Aug 30, 2007.

1. heymike

heymike New Member

United States
    Map
    I pretty much gave up looking for an alternative to the stock mirrors that give me such a great view of my shoulders and elbows. I tried little convext tape on mirrors to no avail.

I have also tried Napoleon bar end units, but those would need modifiction to the rubber friction post, and I didn't want to screw one up and eat the cost.

Yesterday I happened to stop at Gregg's Cycle which is a local bicycle shop. They had these bar end mirrors for mountain bikes. They let me take one out and see if it would fit and it did. They were $10.39 a piece so I purchased 3 mirrors (one spare) and now I can see what is behind me or more importantly what's behind me talking on her cell phone and not noticing I have stopped :) No offense to my female friends.

Here is the link to Gregg's: http://www.greggscycles.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=2291&cid=37

Attached Files:

2. markskidoo

markskidoo New Member

Did it take some time to get use to the bar ends? Does it have any disadvantages over the mirroes that were stock? I have an 86 VFR 750 Interceptor also and I have to lift up my arm to see who is behind me. Is it as simple now to just look towards the mirrors you have on now and see immediately what's there? Thanks, Mark from Buffalo, NY

3. heymike

heymike New Member

United States
    Map
    Mark, It took no time to adjust. It is great to see whats behind you all the time, especially when stopping or at a complete stop. The day after I put them on I took a 4 day 1400 mile cruise. I will never go back to the stock mirrors again. I even like they way my view has changed over the windscreen without having them there. I have not noticed any vibration difference either with the bar end weights being out. I bought 3 mirrors for $35 dollars. I carry one spare for trips. They are made out of a plasitc resin, the images are clear and crisp. They pivot easily for storage in the garage, but do not move on their own. I even opened it up and cruised at 124mph for about 5 minutes, they didn't budge.

Crazy that I had to go to a bicycle shop to find something that works.

4. markskidoo

markskidoo New Member

Thanks for the reply back. I may end up getting set to safe on the road. I'm not to sure if your into wheel rim kits but i just put on set of wheel rim decals with the VFR logo and they really off set the white wheels. Check out my pictures of the wheel rim decals under my profile.. Have you thought about the single seat cowl for the back. I purchased one this year and it really makes the bike look like it's ready for the track. Mark

5. heymike

heymike New Member

United States
    Map
    I saw your decals and think they look hot. Where did you get them? I do have a cowl, just needs some plastic repair on the screw mount hole before I can put it back on. It cracked off on a long ride.

6. markskidoo

markskidoo New Member

wheel rim decals

I went on e-bay under wheel rim stripes and found a guy in Victorville CA (Krayziezales) that can make any logo when making these kits. They list in the heading GSXR 636 CBR 600 1000 R6 R1 Decals. Really inexpensive, I think $5.99 for a whole set and little for shipping. Let me know if you find the guy. Mark