86 500 fuel system leak

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Johnnie, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Johnnie

Johnnie New Member

United States
    I'm still trying to figure out the v engines could anyone help with a carb leak. as soon as fuel flows to the carburetors it starts pouring out of the (vent line?) shown in the photo. does this mean a float is stick open? if so doesn anyone know if there is anything that can be done short of tearing all the carbs apart?

Attached Files:

2. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Needle & Seat or float issue.

if the carbs are out its very simple to remove the float bowls and at a minimum clean the jets and change the needle and seat in all 4 carbs.

Mind_Surfer likes this.
  3. Johnnie

Johnnie New Member

United States

4. Johnnie

Johnnie New Member

United States
    no the carbs are not out, I guess I'm trying to evaluate the situation, to find out what to expect, I've never pulled carbs on a V4 but I've heard it is a PITA I want to make sure I'm not tearing into it going after the wrong thing

5. Johnnie

Johnnie New Member

United States
    also it doesnt appear that this bike has the aluminum interconnect tubes, do you know if they are made for the 500's I havent had any luck finding them online 700's. 750"s and 1000"s yes but not the 500's

6. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    You might as well get the carbs out if you mean to keep the bike. It is a skill you are going to need, and it isn't that difficult, as long the inlet rubbers (isolators) have not turned into granite.

7. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Agree with Jeremyr62, pull the carbs and learn how to clean them. There is no way to deal with your problems without tanking them apart. also DO NOT try to spray Carb Cleaner into your carbs while they are fully assembled. Carb cleaner will turn the rubber Diaphragms in your carbs to goo.

There are some excellent youtube videos by a guy " MagnAndy" who takes you step by step on taking them apart, cleaning and re assembly (15 videos I think -- I watched them). you can also find his videos in the CarbSpa section of V4msclebikes.com.

https://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34135

Also I used the rebuild kits from Billy's Outback (Texas) and they have been very good (as is his tech support).

https://billysoutback.com/carb-kits...tion-interceptor-85vf500f-basic-carb-kit.html

It is daunting to do the first time, no doubt, but if you take your time, keep all the parts separate, take photos and notes, you'll be fine.

As the prior post says, hardest part is getting them out if the inlet rubbers have gone hard. Mine were a bugger to get out.

Assuming you get them out, I'd also replace the inlet rubbers, you can also re-condition them if they are hard (not cracked), by using 3:1 mix of Isopropyl Alcohol and Wintergreen oil. New Rubbers is always best if you can get some though.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    removing the airbox base from the carbs makes it too easy to over-stress the fuel tubes, causing them to break.