85 VF500F oil leaks? common?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by synaptik, Dec 19, 2007.

1. synaptik

synaptik New Member

is there a common place to look for oil leaks on an 85 ??

mine is leaking a small amount of oil, i can smell it burning off when i ride sometimes, but only leaves a drop or 2 when sitting for a few days :doh:

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    many leaks occur around the valve cover gaskets, probably no real problem.

if only 2 drops, wipe it up and find something else to worry about......

3. synaptik

synaptik New Member

the PO said it was never enough for him to have to add oil to it between changes ... but i do slightly smell it burning off when i am riding

4. chickenvoodoo

chickenvoodoo New Member

When the bike is parked, what is the location of the two drops? Do they stay in the chin spoiler or is it near the mid of the bike?

5. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

Bet it's dripping down the back of the engine from the valve cover and landing on the collector. Then you drive it and the oil burns off.

Wipe your hand where the valve cover meets the head. You should have the normal road gunk, but it should not be oily.

6. synaptik

synaptik New Member

it appears to be in the middle of the bike, i saw a drop on the oil drain plug but it could just be running down the engine and that being the lowest point ...

7. chickenvoodoo

chickenvoodoo New Member

I would check the oil filter. It that seal is bad, a slow leak would look like it's coming from the drain plug....it may also be a crush washer on the drain plug gone bad...

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    if leak is from a valve cover, chances are that it's from front cylinder because that one has a harder time holding in oil...

old gaskets get hard, rigid, inflexible, and undependable, just like me old mum!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  9. synaptik

synaptik New Member

are all those gaskets and junk avail out there to replace ...

i am really thinking it is the oil filter or drain plug cause those are the only places i have seen any oil at all other than that the engine looks pretty clean, but i will be pulling all the plastics and such off in a while to either polish or at least paint the frame and repaint the exhaust ... guess it wouldnt be too much of a stretch from there to pull the engine and valve covers and do some preventative maint even if it isnt yet needed

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    yes, new gaskets should be readily available.......

probably a waste of your time to follow upon such a slow, unimportant leak.....

11. synaptik

synaptik New Member

i like to keep everything i own in tip top shape ;)

12. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

Usually the valve cover gaskets are OK.

It's the rubber washers under the chrome valve cover bolts that lose their elasticity.

The pressure on the valve cover gaskets is not due to the tightness of the valve cover bolts - they bottom out and cannot be tightened anymore. It's the "squishiness" of the rubber washers that put pressure on the valve cover.

If the valve cover gaskets are still pliable, then you don't have to replace them.

You have two choices:
    1. order new valve cover bolt rubber washers.
    2. go to your local hardware store and buy 8 hose washers

Put the hose washers on top of the rubber washers, but under the chrome washer. You'll never see them. The only caveat is you can now over-tighten the valve cover bolts and put too much pressure on the valve cover gaskets. I tighten mine until they bulge just a tiny amount. That's enough pressure the keep the oil from leaking out.

13. Jonas Cord

Jonas Cord New Member

United States
    masonv45, Thank you, this method of augmenting the existing valve cover bolt washers/grommets worked perfectly for me. I used two o-rings, concentrically on the underside of the bolt on the valve cover side. The bolts could still be tightened until they bottomed out, but it wasn't too much pressure on the valve cover gasket to cause distortion. No oil seepage now from this front cylinder. I had just put everything back together after adjusting the valves...reinstalled the radiator, etc....only to think I was going to have to tear all this apart again just to repair the gasket. I was demoralized! But I searched the forums here first, and read your tip. I'm replying to this very old thread, because in case anyone runs into this issue in the future, they will see another enthusiastic testimonial that this method works, (as long as your gasket is intact and elastic).