'83 vf750f - What to do?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by jamaal.jordan, Dec 19, 2012.

1. jamaal.jordan

jamaal.jordan New Member

So I'm brand new to this forum, and fairly new to motorcycles.

I have a 1983 vf750f sitting in my backyard now. I haven't ridden it for 8 months or so. I got it about 4 years ago for next to nothing, and I would ride it as a daily commuter and use it as a project bike on the weekends. I'd like to get it running again, but I'm not so sure where to start anymore. Or maybe I'm just dreading starting. But I want to! Just with more support - which is why I'm here.

I want to make tons of performance upgrades eventually, but I want to start small and go from there. Suggestions in all areas (performance, mods, etc.) are welcome. Without further ado, here's a list of what I know to be wrong with the bike. There could be more, I just don't know.

The bike doesn't start now. The starter button is broken, the carbs aren't synced, two of the carb diaphragms are patched with nitrile medical gloves, the headlight is out, the clutch line is leaking (or something; it keeps losing pressure), the battery is bad(?). This is the second new battery I've had, and it still seems to not be powerful enough to turn the bike over, no matter how long I ride with it to charge. The tank is awful I'm sure. Every fuel filter that I install gets clogged within a couple hours of riding :/ The bike overheats, especially where the clutch is. When I bleed the clutch, boiling brake fluid squirts out.

I'll be posting pics soon!

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Welcome aboard, we need pictures! :worthless:

3. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Unless you have a ton of money and a lot of knowledgeable experience working on Honda's/V4's the bike can't be saved the way you'd like. There are no performance parts you can buy. You might be able to find an exhaust, Fox Shock etc on Ebay type places, but that's slim. If it's over heated as bad as you say that's not a good sign at all. Your better off parting it out, then take the money and try and find another one in good shape.

Just to buy normal maintenance parts, MC rebuild kits etc are going to cost plenty if everything is still available. Don't even think about a Honda dealership getting those parts $$$$$. Have to get them on line like at Cheapcycleparts.com or the like. If you can't do all the work then forget it. No bike shop dealer or repair place will work on bikes older than 10yrs for the most part.

Unless you have the skills or a friend with them, just part it out.

That's the best I've heard yet LOL "two of the carb diaphragms are patched with nitrile medical gloves" ROTFLMAO Is your last name McGyver??

Sorry to be such a spoil sport. I know the first gen very very well.

4. jamaal.jordan

jamaal.jordan New Member

Thank you for your opinion. With all due respect: I joined this thread to get things done, not for someone to tell me I can't do it. As far as money goes: I look to sink about 10 grand into this bike over the next year or so. I'm perfectly happy to keep it stock for the time being, and I don't want to go too far from stock anyway. I'd like to maybe put a dynojet kit in, have a new cam made, rehone and reline the cylinders, things of that nature. I can and will get it done. I know it's not the easy way, but I'm not trying to do everything the easy way. You sound like you know a bit about parts, so if you can shed that "can't be done" attitude, and just be productive and help, that would be fab.

Thanks!

5. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    That response is not exactly going to curry favour now is it. The advice offered was sound.

6. jamaal.jordan

jamaal.jordan New Member

Understood. And I didn't mean to sound like an asshole. I'm aware it came out that way, and I apologize. I was simply trying to stress my attachment to the bike, that's all.

To GreyVF750F: If you felt I was being disrespectful, I humbly apologize. That was never my intention.

On the subject of the bike: I got the shop manual, and I'll have pics before the end of the day Saturday. I know the bike can run, it just needs (a lot of) tender love.

Quick question: Can this engine be big bored? I'd like to resleeve it eventually; probably with cast iron sleeves and domed (or convex?) piston heads to increase compression.

7. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    First off, welcome. Second, props for easing any tension.

People will usually try to steer a guy away from throwing money at an old bike as a public service. If the guy still wants the punishment(and I applaud that!!) then maybe the real help can come.

Here's what I would do and it's just my opinion. I would take everything off the bike, motor included. It's easier to work on individual components when they're on the bench. This way, you can address everything that has failed as well as catching things before they fail. This also allows you make a parts list for Ebay shopping, parts can trickle in while you are working on known problems. Sounds like you'll be needing some things.

Start there, then get back to us. As things come up, it's easier for people to help when there's one, specific issue at hand. I would not worry about boring the motor, get it running as it is. You may find the cams are toast and that will weigh on future work you may or may not want to get involved in. Again, I'd strip it down and take a peek inside the valve covers, you should do an adjustment anyway. If you love this bike a s much as you say, waiting a riding season or 2 won't be any big deal if you get a nice rider in the end.

Grey knows his stuff so don't burn that bridge...you'll know who to put on ignore but he's not one of them. Now get to work!

8. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Look I didn't mean to piss in to your Wheaties. But facts are facts. You can not buy pistons, rings, rod, main bearings, head gaskets at all for these bikes. Unless you have the skills of a engine machinist to figure out all the correct sizes of parts and tolerances using mic's, bore gauges and other equipment its going to take, I doubt you'll find anybody willing to take on the project. There's no one even willing to make pistons again for these bikes. Just ask Wisco. There is one may be two places that regrind cams for these bikes. All 4 cams not just "a cam", Valve springs, will be about $1200. But you can't get new valves and you can't regrind the old ones. So the cams are useless if you can't seal the combustion chamber correctly. The old valves won't do it. We won't even talk about flow. There's noway you can bore, rebuild and modify the engine internals properly. It would cost you over ten grand for the motor to have everything custom made, if you can, then machined and assembled if you can find someone knowledgeable to do it.

Sounds like you know very little about mechanics in general. It takes a lot more than a can do attitude to take on a project like this. It takes the proper knowledge of engine building and modifying, which I have. That's why I'm telling it like the way it is. That's why my motor is still stock. Even if I wanted to just stroke it with a vf1000f crank I can't. Cause there's no fucking parts to be had that's needed to do the job correctly!!

Now I guess you could do a backyard hillbilly ghetto rebuild. That may work for a few miles. So just see if you can get it running properly first if you can. It's going to take more than love to do that even.

This time I did mean to piss in to your Wheaties. How do they taste now?

added after Hopit88's post

Thanks for words. This kid just pushed the wrong button and I bit. LOL Believe me kid I've checked in to it twenty different ways. Now you if have THAT kind of money, anything can be done. Then look me up. I do know a guy in England I might be able to get piston and rings from, from other motors that might work. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    :welcome:

Saying you're willing to sink up to 10 grand into that rundown antique marks you as an unrealistic fool imo.:crazy:

Have you ever ridden a newer bike ?? Every 600cc or larger bike from the mid-90' on is a better bike in every way.

Grey750F is just about our most informed and foremost proponent of VF bikes, and his word is gospel here, so listen up !!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  10. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Squirrelman been in the nuts again eh?

11. Madmanx

Madmanx New Member

You can get rings, but not much else...just get er' going and ride.

or sell all of your parts to me...:tongue:

12. jamaal.jordan

jamaal.jordan New Member

Oh you were trying to bother me? I didn't really notice...that was a clever try though. Glad you showed everyone where your maturity level is.

So back on the subject on the bike...

As I said in my first post (for those who read it), for now I just want to get the bike up and running, and I'm perfectly happy to keep it stock for now.

IN THE FUTURE

I'd like to get performance upgrades that I can get. If they don't exist, they don't exist. I don't want to make this a ultra expensive super-bike project right now. And it was running 8 months ago, so I don't think it should take too much to get it running again. I want to use it as a daily commuter, and upgrade it little by little over the years.

Unfortunately I can't afford to strip it down, because I need to use it as a daily commuter. I'm going to post pics before Saturday, like I said. Until then, this seems to be a forum for speculation, wrong interpretations and ego boosts. So I'm going to come back on Saturday with some real updates and pics. See you all then.

mike alexander likes this.
  13. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    :welcome:

jamaal.jordan I love seeing new VF project threads come up, and this ones started with a hiss and a roar..

I will follow with interest! Good luck with your endevour.....

14. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    If it ain't runnin it ain't a motosickil !

15. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I am planning on buying an old VF1000R and turning it into a turbo time machine and all of you who think I can't do it can go to hell. Once I get it going parts shouldn't be a problem since I should be able to go back to 1985 to get brand new parts.

No offense OP but you are out of your mind! Why sink 10k into a bike when you can buy a museum quality bike for much less than that.

Rollin

16. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Can I give you a list of parts I'd like you to get for me? Please oh please.............

Good luck on your endeavor. To get it running it may not take much. Though you will need new carb diaphragms for sure and a proper rebuild/adj/sync of the carbs. Someone is making the diaphragms and selling on the web. I'll see if I have a link to them. Most likely will need to check/adjust valves properly @ .006" using two feeler gauges. Change fluid in both clutch and brake systems. Check the slider pins and bolts in the front brakes it's what the calipers work on. Best brake upgrade is SS brake lines from MC. Makes a big difference plus upgrade pads. Set rear brake pedal so it can't be pushed down to lock rear wheel very easy. Sounds like you need rebuild kits for the clutch MC (& brake) and slave cylinder. Check and adjust steering head bearings and or replace. Must get those from Honda only. 83 was the first and only year for roller bearings in the headstock. Properly setup makes a world of difference in handling that even Squirrelman wouldn't understand. If you have a stock rear shock get rid of it. They were mediocre when new. Try to find a Fox Twin-Clicker on ebay or the alike. Unless you can spring for a Penski etc or see Jamie at this site for his solution. If you get stuck on anything and need info or help just pm me. There are a lot of rubber/oring/seals you should replace that are still available for longevity to commute everyday.

Here is a FSM on-line. It's a must have http://vfrworld.com/forums/1st-2nd-generation-1983-1989/31510-1st-2nd-gen-service-manual-download-links.html

There's not much I don't know about this model. I like to see them come back on the road, they are a great older bike that if done right will give you many miles of satisfaction.

Sorry about before, I'll get you a new box of Wheaties.:peace:

17. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Time to spend some of that 10g. Drop $50 for start/kill switch. Can't test much w/o that fixed. You most likely have a melted R/R plug. It should be under the left side cover. Test the R/R and if good, cut and solder the 3 yellow wires from the R/R to the 3 yellow wires leading to the stator. Then test voltage at the battery. This of course is after a carb rebuild.

Grey has given you some good advice and shown why his worth is head and shoulders above Rodentboy who continues to prove his worthlessness in a motorcycle forum.

18. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    OMG if i cared about your opinion i'd be ashamed, meanwhile what you've done wirh your stuff is admirable and shows massive dedication. Factor it in: a bike you got cheap is likely already ruined. "Buy the newest bike you can afford" is the best advice i got when i started riding !! Putting money into a bike with from-the- factory defects makes no sense.

Save your $$ and buy a newer bike.

19. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    My God I love when people make my point for me. If that's your answer to someone with a technical question about a first gen after they already purchased it then you are indeed worthless here.

I've got nothing against you personally, actually I feel kind of sorry for you. You want to come across as being helpful by steering people away from a problematic bike but in actuality, you just love being a dick. You've said so in several posts and for some reason it makes you feel big inside. Whatever poor decisions you've made in life that have left you old and bitter, you seem to enjoy puking on others for nothing more than buying a bike that has some problems that not every owner is burdened with.
    Maybe you are just so out of touch with the world or you have just become comfortable with the theory of "negative attention is better than no attention" but either choice is just incredibly sad. Honestly. At your age you should know better.

I can't speak to the other sections of VFRW that you frequent, maybe you're incredibly helpful, but seeing how people are treated in a number of other VF/VFR sites, your brand of "help" here is a huge black mark on the site. If you really are about helping people with a bike that you don't even own and all your "expertise" regarding that bike is second hand, maybe you can only respond to second gen issues and do us all a favor.

It's vastly unthoughtful to call people a moron for working on any bike, regardless of make, model, year simply because it has issues. Maybe instead of trying to save grown men from themselves you could spend a little time figuring out why you have SUCH an ax to grind over a stupidly simple thing like an old motorcycle.

20. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    Veeeeery Interesting. I applaud the OPs desire to resurrect the 750F. BTDT far more than once, but long enough ago that some parts were still available via OEM. Since you acknowledge that this is an emotional project please be forewarned that you will quickly outspend the real market value of the bike, but if you are satisfied then good for you. Just remember, when sale time comes your emotional attachment/expenditure have NO bearing on what you can sell it for. I have to look at my work for the info but I have contact info for a couple of Honda dealers that do still have some NOS and used vintage VF/VFR parts (83-87) available and I will post that up here soon as I get back to work in January. In the mean time, have you ridden a new VFR? Once you do you may never go back. I loved my VF's like a coke whore loves the powder, but one season on a new VFR told me it was time to move on. I still miss the old friends but then, that is what memory is for. (See what happens when you get real close to being able to collect social security. :crazy::rolleyes::homer:) since you indicate it is "Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead" please be sure to post up enough pictures of the project/progress to slow the server. We love pictures here. Oh, BTW, it is after Saturday so we at least need some pictures of this bike that has you so smitten. Waiting.......:smile: