7th Gen check engine light

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Qilong Hong, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Qilong Hong

Qilong Hong New Member

United States
    Newb here, had my 2010 VFR for almost a year now but hadn't had as many chances to go on rides other than commuting or local errands runs as I wanted so issue didn't pop up until recently.

When I do get the chance to stretch the old Veefer's legs out, I've noticed a peculiar issue with the check engine light. Was curious if anyone had similar issue. Would prefer not to have to take it to the stealership to have it checked on.

When you start the bike and run around town, no engine light. However, after the engine has warmed up (maybe about 30 - 45 minutes of riding at a moderate pace), when you give her the beans and run it in the mid range or higher on the tach, the check engine light comes on. The bike doesn't feel or sound any different with the light on. If I stop, turn the engine off and turn it back on the light goes away. As long as I stay below ~4-5k rpm the light doesn't come back on. However, the second you open her up the light comes back on.

2. tomcatek

tomcatek New Member

Poland
    Have you chocked for errors with the light codes?

3. Qilong Hong

Qilong Hong New Member

United States
    The light doesn't flash when it comes on. When the check engine light comes on, it stays on. And when I turn the engine off the light goes away.

4. tomcatek

tomcatek New Member

Poland
    In service manual (or Google ;) ) find "blink codes". You will find the instructions how to get them.

5. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    What you most likely have is an active code when the light comes on, some CEL's reset with an ignition cycle, but sometimes there are stored codes (not active) that can be investigated and cleared. I don't have a 7th Gen to know the system, but you should go through the exercise of looking for codes and clear them.

6. tomcatek

tomcatek New Member

Poland
    I would suggest fixing the issues instead of just clearing the codes.
    What it takes is 5 minute read and a piece of wire. Nothing complicated.

7. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Absolutely fix issues! You shouldn't be able to clear codes if there is an active fault.