6th Gen. with BST wheels anyone?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by DFauvre, Feb 10, 2008.

1. DFauvre

DFauvre New Member

Ok, this may sound a little crazy. I have owned a '99 R1, '98 Speed Triple and a '01 'busa. I just bought an 07 R1...and sold it 6 weeks later, terrible street bike, really really disappointing, absurd gearing....

Now I am considering the VFR. I have ridden 5th and 6th gen and the riding position and suspension are awesome...that said the power is quit low for today's bikes.

So one can raise the bridge or lower the water...has any tried putting on BST wheels? Supposedly makes an huge performance and handling improvement on any bike.

Also, I like the Leo Vince pipe. Do I need slip ons or a full system to get max power gains?

Thx!

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I don't know of any LV full systems that are available for 6th Gen VFR's. You can do the Motad catless collector and LV slip ons for about $1400.00, $1600.00 if you Jet-Hot coat the collector. Be forewarned the collector requires that you do some careful grinding to gain the clearance to be mounted correctly on a 6th Gen. I have done extensive mods to my 6th Gen and I will be getting the final tuning done in about a week, if I remember, I'll PM you with the final dyno results.

As for the wheels, I don't know of any carbon wheels available for the 6th Gen VFR's, you care to enlighten me?

3. DFauvre

DFauvre New Member

Thanks for the info. Do let me know what your dyno results are. I love this bike, but it is just under powered. I would have sworn I found BST wheels for the VFR today online but I can't seem to find the link again.

4. Ride Red!

Ride Red! New Member

Germany
    Map
    A stock VFR puts out about 99 rwhp. The most credible numbers I've seen is about 110 rwhp. The guy had catless headers, aftermarket cans, a power commander III, and the oxygen sensor bypass thing.

Realistically speaking, unless you get a big bore kit (and yes, they do make one for the VFR), add nitrous, or add a supercharger, 110 rwhp is about all you can expect. If you go by what Motor Cyclist magazine says, a stock 6th gen. VFR runs the quarter at something like 11.27 at about 119.5 mph. With the aforementioned setup (and losing a 5-10 more pounds here and there), you can probably run a very high 10 in the 1/4.

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I saw BST wheels for other bikes, and you could probably get a front wheel, however, not sure about finding the VFR's unique rear wheel though. Seems like they are running around 2k a piece for the BST wheel....dat be a chunk 'O change!

6. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I take that back...I guess they do offer a singlesided swingarm wheel. 5.75 & 6 inch wheels.

http://www.blackstonetek.com/products.php

BST SportBike wheels - for use on STREET and TRACK
    FRONTS
    3.5" x 17"
    3.6" x 17"
    3.75" x 17"
    3.5" x 16.5"
    3.6" x 16.5"

REARS 5.5" x 17" Conventional Swing arm only
    5.75" x 17" Conventional & Single Sided swing arm
    6.0" x 17" Conventional & Single Sided swing arm
    6.25" x 16.5" Conventional Swing arm only

Black Mamba 3.5" x 17" 7 Straight spoke front - Ducati 1098
    6.0" x 17" 7 Straight spoke rear - Ducati 1098

View Selection of Pics. Available for most popular sportbikes. See Application List.

7. keeena

keeena New Member

I didn't know that a vehicle which does a quarter at 11 sec is slow for the street.

RR is right, you're not going to get power out of the bike w/o major $. Wheels will make improve handling, but accel benefits will be minor. If you really think a VFR is slow, look at bigger displacement bikes. Assuming you are looking for a sport-tour, a Triumph Sprint ST may be more your liking. Why didn't you like the Busa? With the right equipment it can be an OK sport-tour. Or a Blackbird XX.

8. Taz

Taz New Member

Agree with Keeena with his statement.

as with BST wheels, I still have not heard & have talked to them also about a rear wheel CF for the VFR, there suggestion was a Duc wheel conversion to use the Duc CF SSSA wheels available.

9. Bhubesi

Bhubesi New Member

BST Wheels

Hi,

for all interested in carbon BST's, the best way would be to contact the factory as a forum an do a bulk by. They would measure up and probably do a run. When I was there there wasn't an interest on the VFR, but give it a shot.:unsure: