6th gen CCT related ?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by carlgustav, Oct 26, 2016.

1. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

I have about 36000 miles on my VFR. Now I'm hearing a bit of noise, like something loose 'in' the bike somewhere and slapping. It's very mild now, only when pulling in to a parking lot, or the driveway, and slowing down. So it may be time to do the CCTs. There is a butt-load of info about replacing, or rebuilding, the CCTs on this forum and the other. That's well covered. However, in all the threads I've looked at, no one mentions replacing the 'shoes', 'tension blades', long thingies that press against the chain. Is this just not done, not necessary, they never wear down? Do you just do the one w/o the other?

Yes, cross-posted for greater exposure :biggrin: ...

TIA,

ACE

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Interesting question CG. As I understand it (and my VTR1000F has similar tensioners but failures tend to be catastrophic rather than annoying) the CCT problem is caused by mechanical failure of the tensioner spring, not wear of any component. I'm sure the tensioner blade does wear and I know the chain stretches, but these are compensated for by a functioning tensioner.

3. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    Replacing the cct's is already a somewhat difficult task. Having to remove the fuel tank and throttle bodies and right foot peg. Replacing the 'shoes' I think would require engine removal and partial disassembly to get to the shoes. Also you have to remember, the shoes are made to push against a tightened chain, if the cct is bad it's not keeping the chain tight and therefore the shoe isn't being pushed against the chain equaling little to no wear.

4. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    Might be a silly question, but did you check your drive chain slack?

Only asking because I have a similar bike and mileage and was hearing a slapping noise not too long ago during decel. Turned out to be an unevenly worn chain, probably the original, and after a chain and sprocket change it went away. It's a quick check so it's worth a look.

5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The cam chain guides will wear but at 36k I would not give it another thought. I would give a bit of thought to tossing the automatic tensioner and going with a manual.

6. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Chain slack appears ok. May be that time. It's ok though, cold weather is coming ... thanx all.

ACE