6th Gen 25th anniversary

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by KBear, Jun 20, 2021.

1. KBear

KBear New Member

United States
    Hello group. New here and new to the VFR800 Interceptor.

The High Beams are not working on my New To Me (NTM) VFR800. I wanted to find the fuse box for the High Beams but the Service Manual is not offering a lot of help. Are the fuses for the High Beams located behind the Right or Left Meter Panel. I would to check the fuses first then I may need to check the Head Light Relay. The Low Beams are working. Regardless I would like to resolve the nonexistent High Beam issue.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you're able to afford!

2. KBear

KBear New Member

United States
    One other thing. Can someone tell me or show me the proper way to insert the Starter Relay in its cradle? The PO has it so jumbled up I'm unable to even get the battery cover on. The PO had it zip tied to the connection holes. I would just like to see or know how that Starter Relay lays in the cradle. Thank you.

I would upload an images or two but I'm new and you know I can't.

3. KBear

KBear New Member

United States
    Just put a new OEM battery in now the turn signals don't work. The High Beams didn't work before or after the new battery. Yes, I'm sure there's a fuse blown for the turn signals as well now. So I'll have to locate that too.

4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Dumb question, Does the blue light on the dash light up when the hi beams are triggered?

5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Yes blue for high beams.

ABS angled piece of fairing on left next to dashboard, opposite on non ABS for fuse box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. KBear

KBear New Member

United States
    There is no such thing as a dumb question. No. The Hi Beam indicator does NOT light up when the switch is on for Hi Beam.

Cool. Thank you very much for your input! I have the non ABS model. So my fuse box for the Hi Beams is under the Right Meter Panel. Honda Shop Manual shows the Headlight and Turn Signal Relays are under the Left Meter Panel and it doesn't indicate if that's an ABS or not. Could I have a Relay issue? As I mentioned when I put a New Honda OEM battery in the turn signals no longer work. Are the fuses for the Turn Signals under the Right Meter Panel as well?

7. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I'd be looking at earths on the left front side connection block.

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I know for sure that on the ABS model that both high and low beams are on the same fuse. I suspect yours are too so if you have lows and not the highs, then you should be looking elsewhere than the fuse. I really think having both the high and low beams on the same fuse is really short sighted on Honda's part and is a safety issue but hey. They have engineers who get paid big bucks to work these things out.

Good luck with your dilemma.

9. KBear

KBear New Member

United States
    Okay, I'm back you guys. I've just been overwhelmed with "stuff" lately.

I wanted to get into the right side fuse box for the lights today but I'm having a difficult time removing the meter panel to access the fuses? I referred to the shop manual but it's not correct I believe. It says to pull the panel back to release and you cannot do that because of the post and grommet in the rear on the bottom. I watched a couple videos about it and they seem to pop that panel right out. I tried what was stated to do but I'm really afraid I will break that panel or the post that goes into the grommet.

Is there a straight forward way that I can remove that panel without forcing it too much and breaking the panel? Would it be a good idea to remove the lower faring side panel to get a better position in order to remove that meter panel and access the lights fuse box?

Attached Files:

10. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Do as those videos say and show. It does feel like you will break something but go easy. They will pop out. I have removed mine so many times I have forgotten how many. I have replaced one panel once. One of the tabs did finally break. But the panel would have still worked for who knows how long. But me being anal, and those still readily available at low cost at the time, I just ordered a new one.

11. KBear

KBear New Member

United States
    Okay, I'll give it a try again and see what happens. I was sure pulling on it pretty hard today and was sure I was gonna break it. If there was a way to get underneath it and push on that post that goes through the grommet I would feel better. It's that bottom post that concerns me the most right now. I see Honda still has those Meter Panels available in the Pearl Spencer Blue. Maybe I should get a RH and a LH and keep them in my parts stock after all this motor is 14 years old now and some day those parts won't be available. Like you I'm VERY anal, as well, and when I break things like that it seems as though I can't sleep for several nights afterwards. As much as I wish I wasn't [anal] it's just in my DNA.

12. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Are you sure you removed all the connectors from that panel? There are two bolts, on on the top of that panel, and one that screws into that panel from the side fairings from beneath the panel There is also a fairing clip that attached that panel to the black instrument cluster panel.

13. KBear

KBear New Member

United States
    Well, at first I thought I did until I took a closer look at it today. I was missing the bolt that goes upwards from the front fairing. Once I realized I was missing that bolt I felt pretty stupid. Thank you for bringing that up. The first fuse I pulled the blades looked sorta blackened so I cleaned all the fuse blades with electrical contact cleaner as I looked them all over. No fuses were burnt. Now the turn signals are working but the High Beans are still not working. I replaced the current bulbs with new OEM bulbs but no luck. I was trying to find out how to remove the Headlight Relay but not having much luck there. So, the Headlight dilemma continues. I was told by one of the part guys at the Honda dealer to check the handlebar turn signal switch control to make sure it's looking good and it is. Pretty clean and has plenty of lubricant in it as well. I back to finding out why the High Beams won't come on.

Attached Files:

14. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Sorry I can't help you with that. If I give you advise on mechanical stuff and you follow it, your neighbours truck at work is likely to start acting up, and his kept mistress will get pregnant. They mayor will come out as a pedophile and the corner store guy will end up taking over the Senate.

15. KBear

KBear New Member

United States
    It's all good. I'm thankful you answered some questions. Looks as though many other members didn't have the time to offer.

Funny how the bottom of my last posts didn't show up. I was asking about the tab on the rear seat cowling that was broken and wondering if any others have had to fix theirs and what they used to repair?

16. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    When I was working on a friend's 2003, we were trying to track down a no start issue. The Fuel Cut relay and the High Beam Relay are the exact same part and are right next to each other. I swapped them to verify it wasn't the Fuel Cut Relay. But I'm pretty sure I had the Upper cowl completely off and had access to them.

17. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I have to laugh at that one. Someone several years ago, posted up something about the rear seat cowl and the fear of breaking the tabs there. I replied to that post that is is a tight fit but I had removed and re-installed mine so many times with no problems. Just after I hit the reply button, I went out to the garage, took off the cowl and as I was re-installing it, broke off a tab. Fack!.

I did not repair mine. I ordered a new one. But if you do break a tab off, many will suggest a product called Plastix.

Really the best solution for repairs that I have found,(but can not verify it through use) is to order up some ABS plastic slabs from Amazon or possibly get some from a plumbing supply store. Use ABS cement. Our plastics are ABS plastic, same as used in plumbing. It is flexible where Plastix is not.

You can try to repair it with just the ABS cement. You can make your own ABS cement by mixing shreds of ABS plastic, (like the black fittings you buy at the hardware store) with acetone. The acetone will melt the shreds and as the acetone evaporates, it leaves the ABS plastic behind. Basically that welds the two pieces of original plastics together to form a continuous piece again. There are a few YouTube videos on this.