5th gen valve adjust

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by taylor65, Dec 19, 2012.

1. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I'm in the middle of my first check and adjust on my 98. I am the second owner of this bike and I'm sure this is its first check. It has 34,000 miles and I am going to adjust 12 of them. A couple are off by .002 but the others are just .001" off. Most of them are within spec but I figure I have come this far I might as well make them all perfect or on the loose side. The factory manual is real good for this but instead of dropping the radiators like the manual said I just drained the coolant and removed the radiators altogether. It seems a lot easier just getting them out of the way. I wish I had done this about 18,000 miles agobbecause it really isn't hard at all. Without a cam chain to worry about it really makes it easy. It makes me appreciate my bike and the way Honda builds them all the more. If you are on the fence about doing this you will be very glad you did it. So long as you have some good quality tools and the manual to follow it is all rry straightforward. Just thought I would let others know it is not that big of A deal and when you think of all the money you are saving its kind of fun. Good luck

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    wish you were close to me so I could come over with a twelver and you could show me how it's done. I really should do mine.