5th gen to 6th gen tail swap

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Sc4recr0w, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Sc4recr0w

Sc4recr0w New Member

United Kingdom
    Hey guys, 5th gen owner, new to this forum and looking for some help, there is a post on the site referring to a 5th gen to 6th gen tail swap that I'm really interested in doing myself, any help you guys can give with this would be greatly appreciated.
    I'd like to be able to see how the subframe is married up to the 5th gen frame and how easy it is to do, and what extras im going to need to think about when undertaking this, dead set on making myself a frankenviffer, well.. mainly I want the twin underseat exhaust ability, and to tidy up the GIGANTIC rear light cluster a bit..

TL;DR: can't find a post about a 5th gen gen to 6th gen tail swap and need some help please.

2. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Never hear of it being done but I'll be interested to see how you get on.... welcome aboard.

Sc4recr0w likes this.
  3. Sc4recr0w

Sc4recr0w New Member

United Kingdom
    Ok so found the post... but ran into a different issue, the images are blurred so I can't see exactly what the guy did, but I have the text now so I can follow most of it.

so there's a little bit to do, some cutting and welding as most tail swaps require. this is what I've gathered so far:

subframe upper struts needs shortening in order to fit at the right angle and give clearance for the exhaust,
    the exhaust would need a small amount of adjustment to fit, just some shortening and a slight bit of a bend
    the rear master cylinder position would need some refinement.
    there is also clearance issues around where the battery tray is due to having to cut down the subframe but that can be avoided with a smaller li-ion battery.
    A 6th gen tank and seat are required too due to how the tank mounts to the 6th gen subframe.
    Seat lock would also need to be moved about

The 5th gen I have and am planning to do this with is also my first big bike, has been a fun project getting it running after it had been sitting a couple years and I'm looking forward to finally riding something bigger than a 125 around (UK cbt, getting my full liscence in the next month)
    In photo is a '93 3rd gen, 99' 5th gen and I think an 06' 6th gen.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

VFRIRL likes this.
  4. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    That's a big project to take on but the best way to learn is to get stuck in!!! Good luck with it.

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    That build was done by tinkernWstuff, a moderator here. I am sure if you run into a roadblock and need advice, he would be more than happy to offer you a little guidance. He brought that bike to one of the R3 BBQs in California years ago and I believe he still has the bike. A beautiful result for sure. I think he still rides it. Met him and his family for dinner while my wife and I toured through his neck of the woods in the RV last summer.

The loss of the images was due to Photbucket changing their conditions of use of their service. If you want to see those photos taken, you need to sign up and pay a monthly fee to PB. There were hundreds if not thousands of images here on this forum that got locked up because of this change. Some of us copied and pasted our PB images before this took affect so our images had to be re-attached to the forum.

Sc4recr0w likes this.
  6. Sc4recr0w

Sc4recr0w New Member

United Kingdom
    I had messaged tinker a while ago regarding this but he has yet to get back to me as far as I know, good to know you know the exact one I'm on about and that you have actually seen the finished result, im in love with the twin underseat setup of the post-vtec models

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk