5th gen temp gauge issue today

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by DeannaLee, Oct 11, 2008.

1. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

As I was finishing up the last 50 miles of a great 350 + mile ride today the temp gauge on the dash starting jumping all over the place anywhere from 177 to 205 then right back down to 185. Now my first instinct is to say that there is a loose wire somewhere but thought I would ask if anyone else has had this issue? We were riding pretty hard today on some less than smooth roads so something may have rattled loose. ANy thought out there? Thanks!

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I generally keep mine on the ambient gauge and I have noticed that lately it seems to be a little off but I haven't seen it jump around quickly like that. I'd probably think the same as you about a loose wire. You could pop off the front fairing and lights and take a look under there where everything plugs up I suppose... I don't know where the wire runs from there but you should be able to find it and trace it to the other end and see if there's a prob...

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    loose wire at gauge or, more likely, at thermostat pickup

4. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

I have not had the time to take it apart yet but will post the findings. Thanks for the additional insight.

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I was hoping I could piggyback on this thread. I have a 2000. On Sunday, with air temperatures at about 78, and after some spirited riding, I got caught in some stop and go traffic for about a mile.

My temperature slowly but surely kept increasing. It hit a high of 250, before I finally just turned onto any road I could, for fear that it was going to get even hotter and blow a hose.

In hindsight, I was never smart enough to actually pull over and make sure the fan was coming on. Wearing gear, I can't/don't really feel the hot air blowing off the engine.

I've never seen my engine get this hot before - 235 was the max previously.

I know I wouldn't want sustained temps at 250, but is this "normal"?

6. gradyggg

gradyggg New Member

runnin hot

these bikes run hot, stop and go will get mine up to 220 in no time but 250 sounds like you ned new coolant, your fan is not coming on, your thermostat is stuck closed, or any combo of the above. start with a coolant flush and change and maybe replace the thern at the same time since this is pretty easy and you have to drain the coolant to do it anyhow. before any of this, get the bike hot and see when the fan clicks on of at all. if it doesn;t check the wiring and if everything looks good test the ground and everythoing with a voltage tool. Good luck!

7. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    At 251 the temp gauge starts to blink to warn you that the bike is about to eat itself.
    Change the thermostat( a pain but better than ruining the bike) and flush the coolant and replace it.

I have learned this the hard way.

8. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

As precautionary measures I did flush the cooling system and replace the anti-freeze as well as an oil change. Have not noticed any rapid increase and decrease in temps so far but only have about 65 miles since the fluid change.

With relation to the ambient temps it does seem to reach warmer temps sooner but cools back off. With winter getting closer I amy not be able to pin point the issue until next spring. That said I am going to have the local dealer flush the brake lines and do a valve job next spring, is it worth going the whole thermastat route while they are in there?

Thanks again all for the input.

9. Flying V

Flying V New Member

Hello,

I've had the temperature jump up and down as well, going even to some impossibly cold indications (like 50° C while running), but mostly in very wet conditions. I'd say, if it changes rapidly in all directions, it can't be the bike, but it would be the indication.

Take care