5th Gen tank pads

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by SilverBulletCSVT, May 12, 2020.

1. SilverBulletCSVT

SilverBulletCSVT New Member

United States
    Recently purchased a VFR and trying to just ride it and not spend a bunch on mods as not sure how long I'll keep it. Really need tank pads for a better tank grip and didn't want to spend $60 on Tech Spec pads like my other bike.

So started searching Ebay and comparing shapes and dimensions of everything out there. Hit on a close enough match and took a chance for $8. Only had to wait 2-1/2 weeks for shipping from China. Material is very grippy and while not as thick or cushiony as Tech Spec is not hard either. I'm really pleased with the looks, fit and function.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/273922245491

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

LauraM likes this.
  2. SilverBulletCSVT

United States
    Just noticed my Ebay link says $10.32. Seller must have raised their price as I paid $7.69

3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Do you know if you can cut them to shape, say for any bike?

4. SilverBulletCSVT

United States
    Yes you could but they are a rubber compound so getting a nice even edge might be difficult. I would search for other shapes and sizes first before resorting to that.

5. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks..... actually think of going with clear as I don't want to cover up that nice yellow tank, but never know....

6. t.er

t.er New Member

Canada
    How's the adhesive been on this one? The one on my other bike (from some other cheap brand) is starting to sag

7. SilverBulletCSVT

United States
    They held up great, no issues. Just re-homed my VFR two weeks ago though. Really enjoyed the bike but nowhere to keep it and wasn't riding it that much due to near constant travel. Last couple of years it was parked in my living room but that couldn't continue.

t.er likes this.
  8. t.er

t.er New Member

Canada
    Appreciate the feedback, put my order in a few days ago given how cheap it is. Thought about a few options such as Stompgrip but seems like too aggressive of a material and like you said, pricey.

Settled on a $20 techspec center protector in conjunction with this. My main goal is grip and minimize scratches and scuffing of the tank. Wish the coverages of both the center and side pads were a bit bigger, but as long as high wear areas are protected that's fine with me

9. bmart

bmart Insider

United States
    Map
    Tell me about the center protector. I have some that are slippery (only there to protect the paint) so that I can move around the tank. I've never liked the rubber ones as they're too restrictive.

10. t.er

t.er New Member

Canada
    Have ridden a couple weeks with it and honestly can't comment on the gripiness. I don't find myself needing the center to grip, but was severely lacking in the knees so looking forward to these cheap side pads.

However I can say that I'm not fully satisfied with how the Tech Spec sticks. Small areas are starting to peel and I've done my due diligence with the install. It's minor at the moment, but it'll get worse with the exposed edge and dirt. Just be prepared to supply your own adhesive/use RTV if you want it to stick properly.

20230516_173633.jpg

I should also add that I wish the pads went down and forwards more. Grips my lower thighs well, but knees are still on the exposed paint on the tank. Haven't ridden with it yet though, so maybe that's enough. I didn't stick it on lower and more forwards because of the contour of the tank

20230521_145349.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  11. bmart

bmart Insider

United States
    Map
    To my eyes, it looks like an installation problem. That sucker is WAY too low. You're asking something small and flat to stay installed where there are multiple bends/angles.

12. t.er

t.er New Member

Canada
    No, I don't think so. This is right off Tech Spec's website and the sharpness of the angle is way higher. Other people also seem to be having the same issue. This is not something one should expect if paying that much for tank pads

tsp_62-1016_01_web_1.jpg

13. bmart

bmart Insider

United States
    Map
    That doesn't look like the same tank, and a change in only one plane. I've mounted theirs to many bikes and still suggest that is your bug. You may be able to heat it, remove it, and install it higher if you wish.

14. t.er

t.er New Member

Canada
    ... yeah, I can't recommend anyone buy these tank pads, unless you go in with the knowledge that you'll have to add your own adhesive. The pad itself is great but they just compromised on the adhesive so it's easy to move around. Leading edge (where it's relatively flat) is lifting as well.

Maybe the one I got is just defective, who knows. I got a refund a while back and will switch to something else.

20230809_191649.jpg