5th Gen Rotors: Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by TNRabbit, May 31, 2014.

1. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I have pulsing in my front rotors & I've let my rear pad wear out & am eating into the rotor. Looking at replacing all 3 rotors....any suggestions?

I've looked at EBC; seriously, $200 each for front rotors??

2. nearfreezing

nearfreezing New Member

United States
    Map
  3. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Just think of what stresses those items are being subjected to, and what they actually provide you with.
    If you feel comfortable buying cheap chinese flat bits of metal, then go ahead.
    My self; I value my life too much to trust an unbranded disk from a country that's been proven to supply below standard and questionable components.
    Not saying all their stuff is crap, the problem is you don't know what is crap.
    Just my two bobs worth.

4. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
  5. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I would caution you about used rotors even if they look good. They could very easily be warped and most sellers who strip bikes don't check them for run-out before offering them for sale. I had a used set that came with a 6th gen wheel I had but when I put the dial indicator on them they were out of spec so I tossed then out.
    If they guarantee that the rotors are in spec that is different.

I need a set of fronts as mine are warped and I'm thinking about these,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-HONDA-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec4d85426&vxp=mtr

6. nookiaz

nookiaz New Member

United States
    Map
    EBC are good. I have them on mine.

7. H3nry

H3nry New Member

United States
    Map
    My front brakes started pulsing after installing a new front tire. Turns out some bead lubricant had gotten on the disks, probably in one of the holes, because a garden hose washing didn't help. Had to wash the disks with alcohol and a towel. All's OK now. It's worth cleaning your disks in case you picked up something somewhere.

8. JJFlash7

JJFlash7 New Member

United States
    Unless someone damaged the rotor during a tire change there is a good chance it is not a warped rotor. Before you replace the rotor measure the run-out using a dial indicator. I found an inexpensive one at harbor freight that works very well. If the rotor is within spec, I would try cleaning the rotor and breaking in the brakes again. Disk brakes work by embedding a small amount of brake pad material in the rotor. If the material is not evenly embedded around the rotor then you will get some pulsing similar to what you get with a bent rotor. This is more common than you think. Just take a scotch bite pad and scour the rotor and then clean with brake cleaner. Afterwards break the pads with increasing hard stops form 40, 50, 60, 70 mph, Don't come to a compete stop during these braking steps. Then take a short ride and let the rotors cool. You can find more detailed break in instruction here or on the web. If this fixes your problem you have saved yourself the price and hassle of changing the rotors. If not, I have had good buying rotors of ebay. They are usually cheap enough to warent taking a chance on them.

9. nearfreezing

nearfreezing New Member

United States
    Map
    In that particular ebay auction I posted, the seller had measured both runout and thickness. Buying used is always a risk, which you can minimize by buying from a seller who has tested the product. Personally, I'm comfortable buying a used set of rotors, but understandably opinions will vary.

If you're set on buying new, I believe PartZilla has the best prices for OEM, though you should double-check the part number in the microfiche since a forum member has had some issues with them listing the wrong part number.

10. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Yeah, they were toast~

[​IMG]

11. zupatun

zupatun New Member

United States
    Most rotors arent warped...many times the carriers (usually aluminum) get bent, but the actual rotor metal is still straight. Thus the carrier can be persuaded back into spec for runout. If you have a good setup with a dial indicator and a large prybar you can get most (my opinion) rotors back into runout spec with some careful well applied leverage. I and other s have done this...

If you are not inclined to do this...I will take donated rotors and dedicate them to a good cause. Please don't throw them out...send me a PM and I will give them a good home on my rotor ranch...they will run free with all the other rotors, living long happy lives.

Matt
    VFR rotor rescue ranch, Haymarket, Virginia

12. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    hehehehe~