5th Gen power band

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by eddie cap, Oct 23, 2007.

1. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

I was doing a little riding on the Vffr this morning and a thought came accross my mind as to the engines power band. Just to make sure we are all on the same page, "POWERBAND" as I understand it, is at what RPM the engine starts making noticable power or torque and then at what RPM
    does the motor stop pulling and just make unusable RPM. I know this can vary depending what mods have been done to the engine, however I think they should all be :confused: fairly similar. Any input would be appreciated.
    Tks :eddie :confused:

2. fotomoto

fotomoto New Member

3. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

I hope your kidding? If not I did a pretty bad job of explaining powerband!!!

4. fotomoto

fotomoto New Member

No, they are GREAT. Best $249.99 I've ever spent!

5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I take it as kinda the "characteristic" of the power band, like a broad flat PB is carried across the RPM, a 600 has like nobody home and flatulent under 6000 rpm, but is holy terror above 10K, a stock 5th has a flat wide band but craps out at 10500 and ok, I'm living dangerous - a 6th gen has kinda 2 step PB.

MD

6. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

Hey MD; Thanks for your response,anyway discarding the rubber band reply,
    at what RPM do you think your 5th gen starts its power band, I got what you said about it looses its powerband @ 10,500. But I am more interested when it actually comes to life . tks eddie

7. chesthing

chesthing New Member

6 grand. I recently installed a 16 tooth front sprocket - it gets to the powerband in first gear quicker and has better low end now. A very good $22 mod, especially since the 4th and 6th gens come with the 16 tooth and have the exact same 1st and 2nd gear ratios. Highway riding doesnt seem any less smooth either.

8. Taz

Taz New Member

:rolleyes: Get your bike dyno'd & use the print out to see where your best Torque & HP curve are at to seek out as you will for the peak of the "powerBand" :rolleyes:

Then again I don't call it a powerband on 4 strokes, more to power curve/range.

Powerband is a better discription of a 2 stroke peak power range.

& most newbie's & squids get harrasesd about the rubber band thing (that I myself, mess with people about :wink: ):wave:

9. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    - Comes to life is kinda all about perseption - I would describe my 5th as a user friendly mid-range, flat and torqky ~5000 to 8000, pulls on demand and 8500 is where it starts to get serious and slams for a top end hit up to 12500 red line rpm. I have a BMC airfilter, wrapped stock headers, a carbon slip-on, and a PC2. The stock 10,500 dead top end is gone - good riddence!

- You have a 5th do you notice the same?

BTW another goofy tidbit - by my definition everybodys power band starts at idle and ends at red line. Its - the what color is it? that makes the chararteristic of the PB.
    Flat? Peaky? Wide? Like the PB of my Valkyrie is a mile wide flat torque monster from idle to redline. Its putting our more torque at idle than the VFR800 does its entire power band.

MD

10. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

Hey MD; Wow 12,500 top of the power band is really good, I know you stated your mods, but what came over this motor, to get about 2000 RPM'S more useable horsepower, I have seen car engines respond to cyl. head porting and maybe a new set of headers designed with huge tubes for high
    RPM service. But according to you your bike is very much stock, so how did you do it?

11. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    The broad, wide, flat powerband is the main advantage of the V-4. It will make good power throughout the rpm range. Torque from 3500-6000 then more HP from 6000 to near redline. It can change a little with mods, but I don't believe mods can change the engine's designed characteristics very much.

12. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I really didnt set out to think that all the mods i did would eliminate that top end flat spot. I just figured every little bit helps and I did all I could without cracking the motor open. (And I was damn tempted to do that!) I guessed that wrapping the headers was the equivalent to aftermarket headers (erion or 2bros), a full flow air filter would open up the top side and get all the air possible, the bike came with the carbon slip-on so I was set there, and adding a PCII to fuel it would finish the job.

I cant say if I got anymore mid range, mid range is still nice and responsive, but the die on the vine 10500 rpm flat spot is gone. It runs to redline now no problem, before it was like the bike was saying.... oh - you want me to rev?

MD

13. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

Hey MD; Thanks for your input. I agree, making more air available to the engine should help top end, end exhausting it more efficiently will also help the cause. I have similar mods done to my scooter, weather permitting
    I will try to wind the motor past 10,500 RPM , if it flounders right at the 10.5k
    mark,looks like I have a little more work to do. eddie

14. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the heads-up!! I ordered 2 sets of powerbands, the torque one for my RWB and the Horsepower for my ACE. I can't wait for them to come in. I am going ahead and tear both engines down, so I can install them as soon as they come in.:biggrin:

15. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    eddie - how often do you go to redline? I do it a handful of times every ride..

MD

--ps those powerband thingys are weird!

16. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

Hey MD; I very rarely take it to the redline,so I am a little ansee about it.

PS- I tried to order a new powerband for my scooter, they told me they recently had a run on them, so mine is on backorder!

17. chesthing

chesthing New Member

My bike didnt come with a high rpm flounder - how much did that cost you guys?

18. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
    Mine didn't either, but I hear you can get them at Red Lobster for $12.95. They're Great with butter and a little lemon juice.:biggrin:

19. chesthing

chesthing New Member

Hee hee, and here I was thinking it had to do with performing sex very badly...

20. FRE

FRE New Member

United States
    Map
    I rarely use full power. On the highway, I find that it passes quickly enough in 6th gear. By using the highest gear possible without lugging the engine, I get better fuel mileage; I average about 45 mpg. However, when I really want power for passing on the highway, I can downshift from 6th to 4th, or even to 3rd. Because it is impossible to use full power for more than a very few seconds at a time, I doubt that doing so has much effect on fuel mileage.

You can run in a lower gear most of the time to get more power without having to downshift, but doing so exacts a considerable fuel mileage penalty. My 2006 is redlined at 11,800 rpm, and I've run it up to an indicated 11,500 rpm in 3rd gear. Usually I keep it between 3000 and 5000 rpm except on the highway when it's running over 5000 in 6th gear. In slow traffic or when turning at intersections, I may run it down to 2000 in 2nd gear, but only at light throttle.