5th Gen Parts availability?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by mikemo, Mar 3, 2021.

1. mikemo

mikemo New Member

United States
    Map
    My 1st Gen vf500f is now just a memory. I had it briefly before it became a parts bike.

I'm looking for another bike and this time considering a 5th Gen VFR, but I was wondering if parts were hard to come by? A lot of parts for the 1st Gen bike were difficult (near impossible) to find. I don't want to be back in that situation with a new purchase.

Also, anyone have a line on a 5th gen for sale in Florida (apart from Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, I am checking there already)?

Thanks!

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Some parts are definitely going by the wayside like plastics. But mostly can check Partzilla or aftermarket and you'll be fine.

3. comradeQuestion

comradeQuestion New Member

United States
    Map
    Its mostly fine for now. All the consumables seem to still be available as OEM parts (o-rings, hydraulic system rebuilds, pads, clutches, plugs, thermostats, specific bearings, etc.) or aftermarket (head and wheel bearings, chain and sprockets, grips, levers, windscreens, radiator hoses and clamps, etc.). The 5th gen also has a lot of parts similarity with the 6th gen, so many parts fit right up. Some non-wear items are also readily available on ebay like spark plug coils, throttle bodies, airboxes, or cooling system elbows because they almost never get damaged in a crash. Can't say the same for plastics or handlebars though...

The only time I had to go to ebay was for plastics or when I didn't want to pay OEM prices for original parts (like those $17 cowl hook bolts!).

4. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Can no longer get the stock windscreen, fuel tanks, upper cowl set, right side lower fairing, etc. If looking for a 5th gen, it would be worth it to pay a little more for one in great shape as parts are disappearing and expensive. Example, left side lower fairing is about $450 for that one part.

5. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Always seems to be plenty second hand parts on ebay, think I might need to replace all the coolant hoses and brake lines at some point. All fine for now but that rubber is getting old.

6. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Before I tackled the thermostat and coolant hoses, I too was concerned about the 21 year old hoses, but once I got in there, didn't seem too bad...... however, I did go all out and get a set of the ASE silicone hoses. Heck, it's only money. And yes to replacing all those o-rings in the coolant joints, it certainly did look like time to get all those done. My TB boots were OK also..... 109k kms/~65k miles. Valve check.... all were nominal, happy camper.
    Mostly the hardest thing you're going to look for is replacement fairings........... if you need them.

VFRIRL likes this.
  7. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    I buy OEM from Ron Ayers Honda in North Carolina. Much cheaper than PartZilla. Good service and quick delivery. Just spent a boat load with them on mine.

8. Piratepete

Piratepete New Member

Australia
    Map
    Seems down here in Aus most parts are easy enough to find-Chinese fairings are the biggest problem-just won't fit!

9. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    I've replaced all sorts of hoses, connectors, fasteners, and so far everything has been an easy find online, or through the dealer. Even intake boots. Matter of fact, I ended up with a spare set of intake rubber boots sitting in my parts kit because of a double shipment snafu.

Jose