5th gen oil radiator delete

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Sc4recr0w, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Sc4recr0w

Sc4recr0w New Member

United Kingdom
    A friend told me (here we go again eh?) That the 5th gen vfrs don't actually require the oil radiator, aparently there are people out in Cali who have previously done this mod and have experienced no I'll effects, and Cali is as we know a hot place for the most part, I'm in the UK and ofcourse the weather is miserable and cold apart from 3 or maybe 4 hours in the summer lol... Has anyone had any experience with this or could point me in The right direction please ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

robotics tech for my day job, mechanic and fabricator for a hobby, oil may run through my veins... but that's only after a horrific injury

2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Imagine you could, but why... it's kinda hidden doing it's job, looks OK to me.... I think I read here somewhere some one actually put a bigger one on to cool better... I'd personally leave it on.

Sc4recr0w likes this.
  3. Sc4recr0w

Sc4recr0w New Member

United Kingdom
    Just seemed pointless to have such a small oil rad and 2 side mounted regular rads, seemed like standard honda overengineering... But I suppose that's why viffers are pretty much bulletproof, enginewise anyways.... most likely either I will keep the current or change out for a bigger/ more efficient one

robotics tech for my day job, mechanic and fabricator for a hobby, oil may run through my veins... but that's only after a horrific injury

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I saw somewhere that Honda made a cooler for another model that had 3 rows instead of 2. Not much room under there for anything bigger.

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Plenty of bikes use an oil-water intercooler at the oil filter to keep the oil temperature in check. I guess that transfers the oil cooling duties to the water radiator, so as long as that is big enough the oil temp would be controlled.

6. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hmm - A friend once told me that chewing dynamite was fun. However I have no intention of trying it.

Fact these V4 engines run hot - sometimes crazy hot - yes even in Blighty, although perhaps only on one day per year, but when it happens your bike needs all the cooling you can get, not less.

Engine life depends on good oil and keeping it within the safe operating range. Even super expensive oils will fail to adequately lubicate components in your engine if it is allowed to over heat. That is why Mr Honda - who makes billions by cutting out every unneccessary cent from his production costs still decided to install a suitably sized oil cooler on your VFR - but what would he know.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29295/temperature-affects-lubricants

mello dude likes this.