50k Miles

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Hotbrakes, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    The other day my 2005 hit 50k miles. We just so happened to be atop a mountain in Utah and pulled into a scenic overlook for some celebratory pictures. I've had her since March of 2008 at 800 miles. Paid $6500 IIRC. Yesterday she crossed the USA for the second time. This is the longest I've owned one motorcycle. She has been great, always ready to go and always looking good. The finish on this Honda is superb and very durable. Now that the suspension is finally upgraded she is on rails, even loaded down.

Factory hardbags, Laser exhaust, PCIII, Genmar risers, heated grips, Walmart fog lights, ST windscreen, stiffer front springs, and Daugherty 929 shock are the mods. Oh and seat beads of course.

Mechanically she's had regular oil changes with Mobil 1 or Rotella T6, tires, brake pads, one CCT went and I replaced both, a Shorai battery, chain and sprockets, and that's it. Valves remain unchecked :crossedfingers. Before this trip I bought an OEM R/R to have sitting at home just in case.

At the 50,000th mile at 8800 feet 3500 miles from home.
    [​IMG]

2. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow...that's a 10k miles per year clip you're riding at, congratulations. That pic is beautiful...

Makes me feel good about owning a 6th gen :biggrin:

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Congrads!!! 50,000 clams is a nice milestone to hit, you have another 50,000 with some graces from "sum-beings" a little luck never hurt. I expect to hit 100,000 with my gen 3 bike no prob. 80,000 and counting.

I used to ride 10,000 miles a year when I used to live in NJ. Now in FL I am lucky if I do half that, usually, 7500 miles a year, but thats split with another bike.

I owned mine since 1995 and my mother is under the delusion that its "her bike" - almost as bad the wife refering to your pet monkey as "hers." Fucking women! Its nice to have a piece of metal as a member of the family, I never name my shit btw...Happy/safe riding...love Viffers....

4. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Funny thing is I only ride in winter, when the Super Duke is broken (which isn't much but when it is, it's for a while), and on longer trips. I used to commute a lot more than I do now, between last September and this past March she only got 1000 miles. Wedding planning took up the rest of the time lol.

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You know, I knew an owner of a NJ motorcycle dealer that incorporated his white Goldwing into the wedding ceremony. He rode the "wing" onto the dance floor for the new bride onto the dance floor, and nearly dropped the bike due to the slippery dance floor and his leather soled shoes...

Mine was my Mistress/Wife before I ever married my current wife...

6. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Still running strong. Shortly after this I met DGW at Neptunes in Malibu and his sweet viffer.

[​IMG]

7. DGW

DGW New Member

Cool picture I know I've seen this turn but I can't name it right now. I,ve set sail with Captain Morgan and well you know.Any how it was great meeting you and I hope you guys are having a great time.

8. norths03

norths03 New Member

Map
    Hey Hotbrakes. I met you up at Devil's Playground at Pikes Peak last weekend. I was the one with the F4i looking to upgrade to the VFR. Hope the weather turned a little better and you had a good ride home. I'm considering a VFR in Atlanta which I would be riding through Nashville back to Denver. Wondering if you had a route you'd recommend to break up the super slab. The bike has new pilot powers on it so adding in some turns would help the tires avoid flattening out on the ride back. Thanks in advance.

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You have a long way to go before you need to worry about the high mileage on your 05 there hotbrakes. I have 102K miles on my 06. I thought it ran just fine but when you are riding it all the time, you tend not to notice things when they change over time. But a couple weeks ago, I went on a two day ride with a couple guys who used to own VFRs. They both said the bike ran like a top, save a clink from a worn chain which I replaced just yesterday. Keep on riding.

10. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Hit the Dragon! Robbinsville NC is only a half day or so from Hotlanta. Spend a day exploring the area. From there head to Lenoir City and pick up 70 which parallels I40.

Surprisingly we took very little interstate during this 9k mile journey. And even more surprising we were able to go much further per day with fewer stops and much much much better scenery. Mount a good GPS and pick via points to keep you off the super slab. Avoid western OK and northern TX, very hot, sandy, flat, and extremely windy. You will want to die. Make an adventure out of it, don't cut yourself short as long as the bike is up to it.

11. norths03

norths03 New Member

Map
    Well the bike in hotlanta sold before I could get there so I found another in Missouri, an 07 RWB with ABS. I did superslab it back as the tires on it were the originals and flatspotted and I had a set of PR3's waiting in Denver so I didn't want to buy another set. Getting it back today from my mechanic and can't wait to start putting the miles on it.

2013-07-18 12.27.54.jpg

12. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Very nice! I envy you your trip across the USA. On my bucket list~

13. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Awesome Norths! The RWB is beautiful.